Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4788 Engine Room Accidentally Sand-Blasted!! Any advice on cleaning up the mess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Engine Room Accidentally Sand-Blasted!! Any advice on cleaning up the mess?

While we are out of the water having our bent shaft and sheared off strut dealt with, we decided to also have the boatyard tackle sand-blasting the bottom and redoing the bottom paint.

The sand-blasters came on Thursday, and we were still there when they checked in with the boatyard folks to make sure that the open hole was properly plugged where the starboard shaft had been removed.

Either the plug failed, or it somehow got forgotten about - and we just got back to the boat to find that our engine room had been flooded through the hole with fine black sand-blasting dust!

It is EVERYWHERE!

Every surface in the engine room is covered, all the way forward to the anteroom and the hot water heater. It is a huge mess.

Do any of you have any advice on what it will take to properly clean up from this blasting disaster?

I imagine it will be prudent to replace the engine air filters, and likely the bilge pumps.

What else?

Ugh.

Thanks,

- Chris
    Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
    "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
    "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
    Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Hi Chris
    first talk to the yard to see if they will clean it up or the sand blaster co. Otherwise vacuum,spong,rinse,use wet/dry vacuum to pick up what's left,I don't enve having to do this job.
    Good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

The yard is on the hook for the cleanup. How extensive the cleanup is probably subject to negotiation. Part is going to depend on method and getting into all of the hidden places that the media can hide. If machinery hasn’t been operated then cleanup should be something like make a check list of every item to be cleaned and have the yard agree to the list and process. IMO, I’d start by vacuuming up everywhere they can relatively easily get, then air blast each component, like the alternator with a vacuum pickup (big funnel on the end of a vacuum hose) to clear each of them. It’s a good time to install K&N filters if you haven’t. They do a great job and are easily cleaned. After all of the components are cleaned and the checklist completed, give it a white glove inspection. I would have no problem at all with specifying that everything is to be returned to as before or better condition, and insisting on it. I would also expect them to find a few things that need tending to, like hose clamps, suspect hoses, maybe the hot water tank will be found to be in rough shape. While these would expand your work statement, I’d go for a bit of neutral ground. Or, if that’s not achievable because they are pointing the finger at each other, I could be the customer that just says you don’t care about which of you are responsible, fix the mess on my boat. Then I’d bird dog every step. But that’s me. Best of luck, none of us need this kind of stuff.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

We are absolutely going to hold the yard responsible - and I expect that they will be eager to make everything right.

The big question is figuring out just what we should insist on - and what the smartest sequence of steps might be.

I worry about lingering issues that might not show up for months or even years from the sand getting deep into engine components.

Ah, fun!

Thanks!

- Chris
        Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
        "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
        "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
        Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Comment

Chris, I recently ran across a service that came right to your boat (in the slip) and provided bilge steam cleaning. You may not require "steam" but I'd think a hot water flush would be a much better overall solution than more compressed air which will create more fine abrasive dust. Granted you're not going to want water in your electrical components but they can be protected prior to any flush. The water/residue can be easily vacuumed out congruently with the flush.
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]
          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

So sorry to hear,

I would contact my insurance right away. Bring them in, not just the yard or their insurer so that any issue that develops even after the "cleanup" can be handled. I would insist on replacing many of the parts (e.g. alternator) and let them convince your insurer that going to such lengths is not necessary. The fine powder getting inside some of the connectors may cause intermittent problems as you go forward. Make sure that just bringing the boat to a "clean and working order" is not proof of all problems being solved. I would expect a lot of pushing and showing among the various parties before this issue gets resolved.

Good luck!
            Retired, computer expert / executive
            Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
            Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
            D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
            [email protected]
            [email protected]

Comment

You guys are not having such good luck with your new boat so far, hope it gets better!
              1988 3270
              135 hinos
              Seldovia ALASKA
              KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
              KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
              Marine canvas/Upholstery
              since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                It’s a good time to install K&N filters if you haven’t. They do a great job and are easily cleaned.
                I've used K&N filters on off road motorcycles for many years. These gauze-type filters as well as the ones provided by Racor, Walker Airsep, etc, are good, but they tend to leak around the rubber ends. The best way to prevent this is by applying a light coating of grease on the rubber sealing edges.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA
                Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Bummer Chris! except you now have an opportunity to get things really clean and checked out. This could be a good thing going forward. I’m not sure how much of the black dust is residual bottom paint, but if it is, that stuff has copper in it and may compromise electrical components like starters, alternators, electrical connections. On an old boat I once had a boat yard connect up my house batteries in series and I burned up some light bulbs with 24 volts. We were not sure what else was affected. They ended up just giving me a bunch of 12 volt accessories like new water pump, lights, fuses, etc. to make it right.

I think I would vaccuum up everything I could then have the bilge and engines steam cleaned. The grit will end up sticking anywhere there is an oily film so important to get that washed away. I had the engine room steam cleaned when we first got our boat and it has made working in the engine room much nicer. I wish I would have repainted the bilge at the time but it still remained looking pretty good. The process is probably going to get your carpets a bit dirty so you will want to get those cleaned after everything is completed.
                  2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                  12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                  MV Kia Orana
                  Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Working...
                  X