Dingy outboard heating up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dingy outboard heating up

I have a 3 year old Nissan 25 HP outboard on 11 foot AB Rib, hangs off my 4388 nicely. Recently the light sensor went on and I noticed engine getting hot. Pee tube was only spitting water at half the normal discharge rate. Pulled lower unit expecting to find impeller problems, all intact. All tubes were clear no obstructions, everything looked brand new, engine has maybe 30-40 hours. Ideas on what to check next?

It may have a bad thermostat or too much scale buildup in the cooling passages. Use Salt Away in a dispenser and run the motor on the hose. Do it twice. This may dissolve salt deposits from the cooling passages.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

What Norton Rider said and Might also try using heavy fishing line to clean out pee tube.if its still not right I would replace impeller and housing
      Good luck Brad
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

For sure will do all the above, so far have not found a skmatic of the cooling system up in the motor. Good manual on line but may need to get into the cooing jackets around motor. Never have taken apart an aoutboard, lots of experience on disels. Tubes, impeller were like brand new so makes me wonder what else could be.

Comment

My cooling water stopped running, salt build up, despite flushing extensively with fresh. There a smaller rubber tube under the engine cover on the port side roughly in the middle that goes vertically down. Pull off the rubber, poke a thin piece of wire gentle down and that cleared mine. Other issue I had was a frozen steering arm, so now I really lube and clean that before I put dink away for the winter. Machog
          1996 4087 Lazy Days
          2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
          2011 Porsche Cayman
          2010 Lexus IS 250C
          2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

I have a 99 Nissan and had the same issue with water flow. Noticed very weak stream of water coming from discharge. Checked water pump in lower unit which was ok but replaced anyway. Found rubber tube from water exit in block to the outlet in the cowl with obstruction. Cleaned out and all is back to normal water flow. This is the second time I have had a problem with obstruction on this engine the first was a small bug in the carburetor not allowing air to mix with the fuel.

Comment

You can try running the engine in a bucket of Barnical Buster. This stuff works pretty good cleaning out salt build up and growth.
              Current boat. 1995 4788 powered by 310 Hino
              Boat name. "The Salty Kiss"
              Location. Kona Kia Marina, San Diego CA.
              Prior boat. 1999 2855 Powered by 454 with Bravo III
              Owners. Dean and Tracy Roberts

Comment

My experience with what appeared to be over heating on my 20 hp Honda turn out not being a plug problem or impeller problem as replacement did not solve over heating alarm and auto shut down.. Did all the usual stuff to fix still having engine going done with over heating. Then used heat gun (should have done this first) and it appeared engine was not over heating. Replace the over heating sensor/sending unit and problem corrected.
                16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
                17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
                25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
                32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
                41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
                38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
                1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

Comment

Working...
                X