Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here with a few 4085 Questions-gctid400435

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Newbie here with a few 4085 Questions-gctid400435

    Hi everybody, just joined a few minutes ago & have a few questions to ask please

    No jeering yet as I am a present Sea Ray owner (340 EC). Am upgrading & have decided against another Sea ray & am searching vigorously for a 42ft Avanti cruiser....that is the boat I want as it is so much boat for the money....the decision is made, so I decided to look for a Bayliner forum & be well armed before the purchase

    First of all are there any known specific serious issues or weak spots with the general construction of these boats e.g. stringer rot, water leaks etc

    Secondly I have convinced myself I would like diesels as opposed to the 8.2's mainly for fuel consumption the only downside being repair costs if needed. Would love some input on that one

    Thirdly I am slightly confused on the length as they come in 40' & 42' but are both labelled a 4085 I think

    Lastly a genset is definitely on the want list & I see many of them without which is very disappointing. Looks like the Kohler is the standard for this boat. Have been used to a Quicksilver, how are the Kohlers compared ?

    Longshot here....anyone have one for sale? the prices are all over the place as is the equipment. I have seen them in the 60,000 range up to 120,000 for 97-98. Such a huge difference for the same boat. I am in Oakville Ontario Canada & if the right freshwater boat was available I don't mind transporting it up here from the USA as long as its a fresh water boat

    Thank you in advance for any input & advice you may have

    #2
    Greetings and welcome to the nuthouse

    Not familiar with a 4085- did you mean 4087 (aft cabin flybridge cruiser)? If so, it's a great boat!

    Ours is a diesel- 250 turbo Cummins, straight shafts. No known areas of concerning the 4087 models.

    In this class of Bayliner, you won't find any outdrive propulsion, and very few v-drives. The choices are gas or diesel. IMO an outdrive boat is more maintenance intensive than an inboard diesel.

    Once you get used to a bridge boat, you won't want to go back to an express cruiser.

    My 4087 didn't come with a genset; we have an inverter with a bank of 4 6v GC batteries- plenty of power for the microwave, charging the iPad, and a movie or 12. The Kohler genset is well known as a quality unit. We are full time liveaboards, and the 3 cabin layout is the best use of space in a 40' boat I've ever seen.

    Comment


      #3
      I own a '98 3685 Avanti. Bayliner did a great job designing and building this series of Avanti. Solid fiberglass hull, huge, well encapsulated stringers and strong bulkheads - she is a go anywhere type of boat. My surveyor and I were very impressed with the build quality and beefy construction. The hull-to-deck joint is all bolted as far as we could determine. I have not had any leaking issues with my boat save for some rain water intrusion into the aft bilge from the stern locker. My fault..there is some weather stripping that I have not replaced yet.

      The mechanicals are very well done and the engine room in the 36 is large enough for easy access to most everything. I would imagine it would be even more so in the 40 and 42. Factory electrical installation is very well thought out and organized with top grade materials.

      My 36 is 41.7' LOA, 36' on deck with about a 34' waterline. Not sure about the design dimesions of the models you are looking at but here's a link to some 4085's for sale on Yachtworld. Maybe some of the spec details will answer that question or you can ask Bayliner.

      http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1

      I don't know if you've already seen these listings but I'll include them just in case.

      I operate my boat on San Francisco Bay mainly with some ocean forays and I've been well pleased with her handling in rough weather. She's a heavy wavecrusher with a modified deep V hull shape and takes the rough stuff with ease.

      The interior is what you would expect from Bayliner but everything you need is there for comfort and enjoyment. She's not a jewel box inside but is functional and nicely appointed. The interior is light and airy and not claustrophobic.

      I have a Westerbecke 7.2kW on my boat so I can't answer about your genny question.

      Good luck finding your boat.

      Comment


        #4
        Pau Hana wrote:
        Greetings and welcome to the nuthouse

        Not familiar with a 4085- did you mean 4087 (aft cabin flybridge cruiser)? If so, it's a great boat!

        Ours is a diesel- 250 turbo Cummins, straight shafts. No known areas of concerning the 4087 models.

        In this class of Bayliner, you won't find any outdrive propulsion, and very few v-drives. The choices are gas or diesel. IMO an outdrive boat is more maintenance intensive than an inboard diesel.

        Once you get used to a bridge boat, you won't want to go back to an express cruiser.

        My 4087 didn't come with a genset; we have an inverter with a bank of 4 6v GC batteries- plenty of power for the microwave, charging the iPad, and a movie or 12. The Kohler genset is well known as a quality unit. We are full time liveaboards, and the 3 cabin layout is the best use of space in a 40' boat I've ever seen.
        Thank you for replying, I do mean a 4085, it does not have a flybridge. They come in 40 & 42 ft & they are a cruiser sometimes called a sunbridge

        Comment


          #5
          telebob wrote:
          I own a '98 3685 Avanti. Bayliner did a great job designing and building this series of Avanti. Solid fiberglass hull, huge, well encapsulated stringers and strong bulkheads - she is a go anywhere type of boat. My surveyor and I were very impressed with the build quality and beefy construction. The hull-to-deck joint is all bolted as far as we could determine. I have not had any leaking issues with my boat save for some rain water intrusion into the aft bilge from the stern locker. My fault..there is some weather stripping that I have not replaced yet.

          The mechanicals are very well done and the engine room in the 36 is large enough for easy access to most everything. I would imagine it would be even more so in the 40 and 42. Factory electrical installation is very well thought out and organized with top grade materials.

          My 36 is 41.7' LOA, 36' on deck with about a 34' waterline. Not sure about the design dimesions of the models you are looking at but here's a link to some 4085's for sale on Yachtworld. Maybe some of the spec details will answer that question or you can ask Bayliner.

          http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1

          I don't know if you've already seen these listings but I'll include them just in case.

          I operate my boat on San Francisco Bay mainly with some ocean forays and I've been well pleased with her handling in rough weather. She's a heavy wavecrusher with a modified deep V hull shape and takes the rough stuff with ease.

          The interior is what you would expect from Bayliner but everything you need is there for comfort and enjoyment. She's not a jewel box inside but is functional and nicely appointed. The interior is light and airy and not claustrophobic.

          I have a Westerbecke 7.2kW on my boat so I can't answer about your genny question.

          Good luck finding your boat.
          Thank you very much for the info & the listing link. I had viewed some of those but all links are helpful as new ones may occur

          Comment


            #6
            Hi CaptainQ- I've been the proud owner of a '97 4085 for the past 10 years and may be able to help a bit with info about the boat.

            First off, the model is 42 ft. Length overall, including the built in swim platform. Hull length, excluding the swim platform, is about 40 Ft.

            As telebob mentioned, the boat is solid fiberglass and has a very solid feel underway. I have had no issues with rot or leaks in the cabin. There were a couple of minor issues causing water in the bilge that I repaired. First, the AC condensation drained into the bilge. I installed pumps (shower pumps) to discharge it over the side. Second, the rear "trunk" storage area and a couple of cup holders drained to the bilge. I also plumbed these to go over the side.

            The boat has the 330 Cummins Diesel option and I am very pleased with the performance. I cruise at 20 to 21 Kts. and burn just under 1 gallon per nautical mile. Top speed is about 28 Kts. The diesels have not skipped a beat in ten years.

            The boat is also equipped with a 8Kw Diesel Westerbeke Genset which easily runs everything on the boat.

            One issue you need to be aware of is that the boat carries a lot of weight in the stern. The diesels have v-drives which place the engines further aft and provides a lot of space for the aft berth. Also, the genset, 3 8D batteries and fuel tanks are all positioned in the aft part of the boat. I found that the standard trim tabs just weren't big enough to offset this weight. I went with a larger size tab and solved the problem.

            Please feel free to get back to me with any additional questions.

            Tom

            Comment


              #7
              One thing I've noted is that there are not very many examples of this Avanti (36, 40, 42) series for sale. I don't know if that is because Bayliner didn't make very many or if people just tend to hang on to them. I've also noted that this series with diesels is a rare beast. I agree that a boat this size, for this intended purpose, without a genny is pretty odd.

              Do you have a particular reason to exclude salt water boats? There doesn't seem to be that many freshwater boats available.

              Comment


                #8
                Tom thank you for all the great info on your boat with all the little tips & tricks. I will log those for when I find one. Can I buy yours ? lol.

                Telebob you are right, they are few & far between but if it takes me the rest of the summer & even the winter I will buy one. Salt water boats are not desirable up here ( Oakville, Ontario Canada) too many problems & horror stories from too many people especially with electronics from the salt. Even for a lot less money I would pass

                This seems to be a very friendly.......nuthouse? as someone said earlier. You have all been very nice to a guy that hasn't bought his first Bayliner yet. As you know by now I have a Sea Ray & they are over rated, over priced & currently do not have the build quality they used to have. I feel the Avanti 42 is the best bang for the buck

                Thank you so much everyone. Will post from time to time as I find them & eventually buy one

                Comment


                  #9
                  Maybe she'll be for sale next year.......she may be a bit "salty" for you though. However, it would be a great trip taking her from Long Island Sound to Canada....can I sign on as crew?

                  Regards,

                  Tom

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Take a look at WhiskeyWizard's Tiara 40 which he currently has for sale right around the corner from you. Similar design with a hard top and bigger engines. Beautiful boat!

                    http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...a-4000-Express

                    Comment


                      #11
                      First the confusion on the length.:The boat is called the "Avanti 4085 Express" and originally included a graphic in the blue hull stripe to that effect. My 1997 Avanti is registered as a 42 foot boat - I guess because of the integral swim platform.

                      Tom is right about the weight aft. When I first bought mine in 2006 it was Tom who suggested changing to larger trim tabs. I did that plus mounted them dead flush with the bottom at zero angle when up and those changes made a world of difference. My boat has the 370HP Cummins and the 8 KW Westerbeake generator.

                      My practice is to run at 1200 RPM which yields 8 knots at 2 MPG OR 2500 RPM which yields 20 knots at 1 MPG. These numbers are full up on fuel, water and beer. With full fuel etc. the engines will run up to 3100 RPM at WOT and get me about 30 knots.

                      This hull is very smooth running in a chop, tracks beautifully even at low speeds and throws little spray.

                      When Bayliner built these models from, I believe 1997 to 1999 they had in their portfolio the SeaRay 40/41 and the Maxxum 41/42 hulls as well. The Avanti's are kind of a mix of those vessel with some Bayliner magic thrown in. There are no aluminum only stainless fittings for example.

                      Some issues: Bayliner finished all the cabinet interiors. So, for example, if you want to replace the head sink faucet your first tool will be a saw. When I replaced the water heater which is mounted under the cabin steps I literally had to cut away a lot of basically unneccesary structure that was completely blocking acccess. Changing the port engine oil filter is tough as is the starboard engine water pump impeller. But all boats have their design for maintenance issues. I've replaced the transom door with a bi-fold door which vastly improves the walk-thru. I made a new 6-sided table for the cockpit to replace the extra large fiberglass table that I felt took up too much space. Ditto replacing the salon table top with a smaller "cocktail -style" table top.

                      The list goes on and on ......

                      As to price. My boat was born and raised on the freshwater Delaware River and has spent it's last 5 years in the upper Chesapeake Bay where the water is "brackish"......about 10 ppt salt vs. 30 ppt salt in true saltwater. The market for "Express" cruisers in this size range is a tough one these days. My GUESS is that a reasonable list price for my boat, for example, would be somewhat over 100K US and a probable selling price might be somwhat under 100k US. I base that soley on looking at the boating press, websites etc for boats of this vintage with similar equipment. Not that my boat is for sale.

                      Meanwhile you've come to the right place. There are LOTS of folks here who can help you in your quest.......ask away.

                      Walt

                      Comment


                        #12
                        TerribleTom4085 wrote:
                        Maybe she'll be for sale next year.......she may be a bit "salty" for you though. However, it would be a great trip taking her from Long Island Sound to Canada....can I sign on as crew?

                        Regards,

                        Tom
                        You are right that would be a great trip especially with you as crew. Just gotta get my head around the salt....cheers

                        Comment


                          #13
                          40WALT wrote:
                          First the confusion on the length.:The boat is called the "Avanti 4085 Express" and originally included a graphic in the blue hull stripe to that effect. My 1997 Avanti is registered as a 42 foot boat - I guess because of the integral swim platform.

                          Tom is right about the weight aft. When I first bought mine in 2006 it was Tom who suggested changing to larger trim tabs. I did that plus mounted them dead flush with the bottom at zero angle when up and those changes made a world of difference. My boat has the 370HP Cummins and the 8 KW Westerbeake generator.

                          My practice is to run at 1200 RPM which yields 8 knots at 2 MPG OR 2500 RPM which yields 20 knots at 1 MPG. These numbers are full up on fuel, water and beer. With full fuel etc. the engines will run up to 3100 RPM at WOT and get me about 30 knots.

                          This hull is very smooth running in a chop, tracks beautifully even at low speeds and throws little spray.

                          When Bayliner built these models from, I believe 1997 to 1999 they had in their portfolio the SeaRay 40/41 and the Maxxum 41/42 hulls as well. The Avanti's are kind of a mix of those vessel with some Bayliner magic thrown in. There are no aluminum only stainless fittings for example.

                          Some issues: Bayliner finished all the cabinet interiors. So, for example, if you want to replace the head sink faucet your first tool will be a saw. When I replaced the water heater which is mounted under the cabin steps I literally had to cut away a lot of basically unneccesary structure that was completely blocking acccess. Changing the port engine oil filter is tough as is the starboard engine water pump impeller. But all boats have their design for maintenance issues. I've replaced the transom door with a bi-fold door which vastly improves the walk-thru. I made a new 6-sided table for the cockpit to replace the extra large fiberglass table that I felt took up too much space. Ditto replacing the salon table top with a smaller "cocktail -style" table top.

                          The list goes on and on ......

                          As to price. My boat was born and raised on the freshwater Delaware River and has spent it's last 5 years in the upper Chesapeake Bay where the water is "brackish"......about 10 ppt salt vs. 30 ppt salt in true saltwater. The market for "Express" cruisers in this size range is a tough one these days. My GUESS is that a reasonable list price for my boat, for example, would be somewhat over 100K US and a probable selling price might be somwhat under 100k US. I base that soley on looking at the boating press, websites etc for boats of this vintage with similar equipment. Not that my boat is for sale.

                          Meanwhile you've come to the right place. There are LOTS of folks here who can help you in your quest.......ask away.

                          Walt
                          This is definitely the right place & I appreciate all of the above info. I totally agree that all boats have their design issues...my SR has many that needed workarounds. I have found these 4085's for as low as $69000 even with diesels but they are either too far away (shipping costs) or need some tlc or pending deals. Will keep the search & thank you again

                          Comment


                            #14
                            ronlord wrote:
                            Take a look at WhiskeyWizard's Tiara 40 which he currently has for sale right around the corner from you. Similar design with a hard top and bigger engines. Beautiful boat!

                            http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...a-4000-Express
                            Now that is one stunning craft, way above my budget but wow!!!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X