My aching back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My aching back!

Just finished changing the oil and filters on both engines, the generator and both tranny's. I also R and R'd both main engine raw water pumps to install new impellers and installed all new cork gaskets on my raw water strainers. All three strainers were looking pretty gunky and green so I took them all apart, wire wheeled them, then sprayed them with lacquer.
    Up and down to many times into the engine room, getting to the raw water pump on the port engine and getting to the oil filters on the starboard engine and my back is saying enough is enough!
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Sucks getting old, but I notice you took her for a little test run.
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

• Jim_Gandee
      Jim_Gandee commented
      Editing a comment
      Had to leak check it Jeff. That was my excuse for a boat ride!

Something to be said for having skinny boys around.

When I need strong young backs, or skinny bilge rats, I just call them.

Hey I feed 'em anyway ... Might as we'll get some free labor
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Jim- I feel your pain- I will be pulling both raw water pumps soon- hate the port side!
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's
      1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

• Jim_Gandee
        Jim_Gandee commented
        Editing a comment
        Sunbird, I lay across the port engine and reach down to the pump. There's no way I can access it any other way with the battery box so close and Im only 5'8" 160.

I built battery “boxes”, covers really, out of some left over half inch plywood. My son and I found that by dismounting the battery switch panel, one of us can lay on top of the box and change the port pump with relative ease and we are both around five seven and 225. We laid the panel on top of the port engine while working.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Gsherwood
        Gsherwood commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you explain the panel you lay over the engine? Sounds interesting

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
      Something to be said for having skinny boys around.

When I need strong young backs, or skinny bilge rats, I just call them.

Hey I feed 'em anyway ... Might as we'll get some free labor

As I get older I'm picking and choosing my battles. For example, I'm having my mechanic replace the oil pressure sender on my boat's port engine because it is a PITA to get to. Coincidentally, his son is his business partner; so guess who he sends to do jobs like this...

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Jim,when I built a new battery box for the house bank, I made it to just fit 4 Trojan T105 GC batteries and installed the box as far to port as I could. It gave me just enough room to remove the port raw water pump from the port side. I'm about your size, 5'8", 150#. As far as the starboard oil filter goes, once I'm in beside the engine I find I can actually sit upright and be quite comfortable. I do make sure I've got all the supplies and tools with me before I go in, nothing worse than having to crawl back out under the exhaust tube to get a wrench
        Just pulled the port transmission to check the damper plate, that was as bad as any job I've done on the boat to get at the bottom two nuts. That job tried my patience and my back

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

James,
          My battery box is as far to the port as it will go. I don't know if this box is original Bayliner or a PO fabricated it. The box holds 6, 6v house batteries and two 12v starting batteries and is basically unmovable. Getting to the port pump is challenging! Over on the starboard I have an extra 20 gallon water tank that takes up some of the room over there although I can still access the oil filter fairly easily but you are sooo right about having the correct tools before you shimmy in there!
          I hope I never have to replace anything in the transmissions, that does not look like a fun job!
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]
          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

My back was hurting just watching you work.....lol.
            Alex
            Orange County, Ca.
            2001 3988
            Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
              Just finished changing the oil and filters on both engines, the generator and both tranny's. I also R and R'd both main engine raw water pumps to install new impellers and installed all new cork gaskets on my raw water strainers. All three strainers were looking pretty gunky and green so I took them all apart, wire wheeled them, then sprayed them with lacquer.
              Up and down to many times into the engine room, getting to the raw water pump on the port engine and getting to the oil filters on the starboard engine and my back is saying enough is enough!
              How many hour do you estimate it took to do all the work?
              2001 Bayliner 4788
              Underhulls
              Bow & Stern Thrusters
              330 Cummins
              Moored: Captains Cove Ladner BC

Comment

• Jim_Gandee
                Jim_Gandee commented
                Editing a comment
                Stan,
                Total time was about 3 days work but that included removing the strainers, cleaning them up, lacquering them etc. I'm sure not the fastest wrench twister in the world, I'm quite sure a pro would be faster. However, I spent extra time cleaning the bilge, etc. that a pro would not do as part of a fluid change.

• stanfromhell
                stanfromhell commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the reply, i'm planning to do that plus re & re the exhaust manifolds and heat exchangers. Guess I'll have to get started on my stretching excersises

Jim,

Nice to have it done, I’m sure.
              Joe
              2001 5288
              Lucky Liner ll

Comment

• Jim_Gandee
                Jim_Gandee commented
                Editing a comment
                Joe,
                You can fly a kite in your engine room compared to mine! I'm envious!
            Working...
            X