CO Detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO Detectors

Three of my four CO Detectors are End-of-Life. All are hardwired to 12v power with no battery back-up. The three in need of replacement, Safe-T-Alert M-60-541s, were original to the boat, 2001-02. We have owned the boat about 4 years. An End-of-Life alarm, an alternating Red & Green LED, was supposed to be signaled at the 5-yr mark. However, they all remained in a steady Green state until recently! While I was equalizing the house batteries, one of them emitted the steady Red LED and audible alarm for a true CO condition. The main engines and generator were not in use. By pressing the Test button on the CO Detector, I was able to mute the alarm for 6 minutes. These units are equipped with a memory feature, which indicated the detector was sensing 200+ PPM CO. After 6 minutes of silence, the detector went back into alarm. I muted the alarm again and called Safe-T-Alert Tech Support. They said the unit is at its End-of-Life. Consequently, I removed it from the wall and clipped the wires. This set off a second CO Detector of the same type, which I unmounted. This unit was equipped with plug type connectors, so power removal was easy. The third CO Detector stayed in the Green. The date of manufacturer of the units was imprinted on the back side of the units and could only be read after removal from the wall. All this happened near the end of my 4-hour equalization period of the house batteries. I returned to the boat several days later to find the House batteries were in a 0% State-of-Charge! All three AC main C/Bs had tripped. A recharge via the Inverter was normal, but it took over a day to get back to 100%. The House bank consists of six 6v flooded lead acid batteries and they are over four years old. Hopefully, there was no permanent damage. I surmise the mains tripped when I clipped the wires of the first CO Detector in alarm.

All this leads up to my question. I will be replacing these units soon with the new and improved Safe-T-Alert M-65-541s models. Two of the three were wired using Butt Connectors since the wires were tucked behind a wall panel with a hole too small to accommodate Male/Female spade connectors. I would rather not do the wiring with the wires hot. Does anyone know where the 1 amp fuses are located to these units? They should be in the positive (red) wire somewhere between the unit and its battery. These wires bypass the main electrical panel in the P/H and the one in the aft port corner of the salon. They are designed to be installed this way. Additionally, it would be good to know where this fuse is so I could silence a false alarm in the future. Thanks.
    2002 4788/Cummins 330s
    SF Bay Area

Kinda sidetracked, but we use household smoke and CO alarms in several places including the engine room.
    These are networked to the boats alarm system

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Are you sure they are factory wired. My 2001 did not have factory units. When mine reaches its end of life, I will replace with a battery operated combined smoke/co2 household model.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
        Kinda sidetracked, but we use household smoke and CO alarms in several places including the engine room.
        While it's a pain finding RV/boat carbon monoxide detectors and having to pay extra for them, don't fall for the temptation to use a home CO detector. The detectors for use in RVs and boats have to meet a different UL testing and certification standard. Basically they're tested to withstand temperature extremes beyond what you'd encounter in an occupied home (i.e. sitting in the hot sun in summer and freezing in winter), corrosion (salt water in air or even spray), vibration, and how they determine when to alarm is different (RVs and boats get more frequent spikes in CO when you start the engine which quickly dissipate as the vehicle is in motion). Home CO detectors are not tested for these things.

https://www.stadealer.com/uploads/1/...l_vs_ul_rv.pdf

Also, if you're in California, the state recently passed a law requiring all smoke and CO detectors have a 10 year battery life. When I was shopping for one, I could find only one 10-year model available which I felt was overpriced and its shape wouldn't work where I wanted to place it. I ended up ordering a 7-year model and shipping it to a friend in New York who was planning to visit me soon. He brought it with him.
        1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Originally posted by Solandri View Post
          While it's a pain finding RV/boat carbon monoxide detectors and having to pay extra for them, don't fall for the temptation to use a home CO detector.
          Atwood makes a couple of battery-powered RV CO detectors that meet the RV/Marine standard. They are easy to find at RV accessory sellers: e-Trailer, Camping World, etc.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA
          Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Uncle_Bob, I never said they were factory installed/wired. I presume the original owner installed them. We are 2nd owners. I did not want to entertain installing another brand so I could install the new ones in the same footprint of the old ones. Thanks.
            2002 4788/Cummins 330s
            SF Bay Area

Comment

Reason for mentioning factory installation is no one can answer your question where the fuse is on an after market installation.
              1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Just thinking about this home Vs marine CO detector thing.

Yes, for some boats you might have salt spray, or false alarms due to the higher senstivity of home based units.

For any of the larger boats Like the OP’s I’d be hard pressed to see any difference between a boat and a oceanfront home.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Working...
                X