Force 10 propane stove a good choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force 10 propane stove a good choice?

I need to replace the electric stove in my 3870 with propane. Is the three burner model from Force 10 a good choice? Do people bother with the gimballed installation in a motoryacht?

We purchased a Force Ten gimballed stove with oven when we had a sailboat after comparing with Dickenson and another brand I can't remember. We had no regrets or problems ever and never benifited from the gimbals because we wre were not crossing oceans or trying to cook in big swells.. If you are boating in relatively calm waters or anchored there is no advantage to gimbals in my humble opinion.
    2001 Bayliner 4788
    Underhulls
    Bow & Stern Thrusters
    330 Cummins
    Moored: Captains Cove Ladner BC

Comment

Originally posted by BryGuy View Post
      I need to replace the electric stove in my 3870 with propane. Is the three burner model from Force 10 a good choice? Do people bother with the gimballed installation in a motoryacht?
      We put in a Force 10 3 burner in our 47 and love it. Fixed not gimbailed.

Comment

IMHO, Force is a very good choice. Gimbaled is typically for sailboats so they can be used when heeled over.

Not sure if you know this, but suggest you put a remote tank shutoff switch near when you install the stove, and shut the tank off before you turn the dial to off to take the pressure off the line. That way you have little chance of propane entering your bilge. You will also have to vent your propane locker to outside the boat.
        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
        MMSI: 367637220
        HAM: KE7TTR
        TDI tech diver
        BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
        Kevin

Comment

Chris,
          Your stove install looks great! Where did you install your propane locker? How did you vent it?
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
            Chris,
            Your stove install looks great! Where did you install your propane locker? How did you vent it?
            When I replaced the propane cooktop and microwave with a stove/oven on my 3788 I removed the horizontal propane tank that was under the flybridge dash and installed a dual tank locker on the hardtop. Since the locker is outside, it is vented directly to the atmosphere. I used a new propane hose and made sure the installation met all current ABYC and Coast Guard requirements: single hose going directly to the appliance with no unions, tees, etc; regulator and solenoid inside the locker; etc. I also replaced the OEM, propane on-off switch with a detector/alarm/auto switch combination.

I installed a Seaward. 3-burner stove and did not gimbal it. After some minor modifications to the cabinet, it fit perfectly where the cooktop and microwave were installed

Here's a photo showing the locker:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0230 (2) (Copy).JPG Views:	1 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	392333
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA
            Isla Verde, PR

Comment

I installed one in a customer's 3888 using the gimbal mounts. It is kept in the "locked" position except when cleaning up under the stove. It is nice to be able to reach any spills that need to be cleaned.

Greg
              Newport, Oregon
              South Beach Marina
              1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
              Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
              Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                Chris,
                I fabricated a sealed locker that fits inside the fly bridge bar. I hinged the top of the bar cabinet to access the propane locker. I have two standard bottles with a regulator, solenoid shutoff for the galley and two additional outlets within the box. One is for the BBQ that sits on top of the bar and the other is for my crab cooker. It's closed and capped unless I have the 50' hose hooked to it. I can cook on the swim platform or on the dock.
                The box is vented overboard. I couln't find a locker that would do what I wanted on the 47.

I only have to get into it once a year. The two bottles are more then enough for the 3 or 4 months we're on the boat.

Chris

Comment

We replaced our Princess electric on our 38 with a Princess propane a couple seasons ago. We love it. All mounting is the same.
                  Sean
                  1987 3870
                  Crimson Pride II
                  Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
                  MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Working...
                  X