Ice Maker Removal 4788?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Maker Removal 4788?

Hello All - Our Icemaker in our 4788 is dead. I am considering pulling it out since I can make ice with trays in the fridge/freezer, or even get a 120v ice maker at Walmart for under $100. I am thinking the storage in that space would be very useful. Has anyone done this and if so, how did you cover the opening left in that space? I am thinking that matching the 20 year old wood will be virtually impossible so looking for options.

Thanks!
    Kevin
    1997 4788
    m/v No Plan
    We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

If your icemaker gets cold you can replace the ice making part as a whole unit for about $200 on amazon.

otherwise I’ve seen folks put wine coolers, and all kinds of stuff there, but you are right, getting a door to match is going to be problematic.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Use smoked plastic?
      PuraVidaTN
      2008 490 Pilothouse
      Proud member of the Vol Navy

Comment

I replaced mine with a beverage refrigerator. Lots of cold beverages and more room in the galley fridge. Exact fit for the ice maker cutout.

Comment

• Chart-table
          Chart-table commented
          Editing a comment
          We looked and looked for a beverage fridge to replace the ice maker on our 4588, but could not find anything close in size. Do you recall the make? We ended up just putting a teak door on to match.

Our ice maker does not work either. I was thinking of removing it and using one of the wood doors I took off the tv cabinet when I converted to a flat screen in the same space.
        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
        MV Kia Orana
        Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Originally posted by kspellman02 View Post
          Hello All - Our Icemaker in our 4788 is dead. I am considering pulling it out since I can make ice with trays in the fridge/freezer, or even get a 120v ice maker at Walmart for under $100. I am thinking the storage in that space would be very useful. Has anyone done this and if so, how did you cover the opening left in that space? I am thinking that matching the 20 year old wood will be virtually impossible so looking for options.

Thanks!
          Kevin
          1997 4788
          m/v No Plan
          The wood is just an insert. If you bought the same model it may fit the new one. Or maybe fit with a bit of modification.

When I bought my boat I thought the ice maker and trash compactor were both a waist of space.
          In the last 14years I've found they are both very good items to have.
          We use the ice maker for ice, quick cooling wine/beer and overflow for the freezer.

As Keven says you can get replacement parts at a reasonable price.
          It may be something simple.
          Uline is very helpful in trouble shooting.

JM2cents
          Chris
          Last edited by Pacrimrat; 11-11-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Chart Table, the Nova Kool R1200 is a beverage fridge that exactly fits the cutout of the most common U-line ice makers. On the AC/DC model all you do is pull out the ice maker, plug in the AC cord, connect the DC power and slide the fridge into the cabinet. I did not have to alter the cabinet. Sure Marine in Seattle sells them. Good luck!

Comment

Nova Kool at over $1000...U-Line at over $1000.....I think that Counter Top Ice Maker for $95.88 at Walmart is looking better all the time! Plus the extra space will store more beer! I also like the plexiglas idea....Thanks All!

Comment

Tried to replace the circuit board in our Uline ice maker but still could not resurrect it. Bought a counter top for $100. Works great now I need to figure out how to disconnect water supply and remove Uline. Planed to shelve out & cover w smoke plastic door or similar but a drink fridge sounds a good alternative.
                Where is the on/off valve for the Uline located?

Comment

Factory OEM there is no valve on the icemaker feed.

My 2001 4788 uses Whale fittings throughout, and the valves are readily available.

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

JMason - I just pulled my ULine out....there is a HUGE storage space back behind there. I shut down the water pressure and as a temporary fix, put a bolt in the hose and secured it with a hose clamp till I can get a whale valve. That hose needs to be disconnected before the unit will move. I have ordered a piece of black plexiglas to cover the spot which will be a mini-pantry when I am done.

Comment

Good to know. My boat is currently in the Yard undergoing replacement of the holding tank and bottom paint. Hope to get to this project in January and access that storage space. I think that I can order smoked plastic doors from Midday Plastic or some other source. Will need to find appropriate hinges.

Comment

Here is a few things I did where my icemaker was

Comment

Sorry having trouble with pics

Comment

Me too, I am very interested in seeing what you did
                            Stan
                            2001 Bayliner 4788
                            Underhulls
                            Bow & Stern Thrusters
                            Hydronic heater
                            330 Cummins