3788 Fuel tank location and access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3788 Fuel tank location and access

I am in between offer acceptance, sea trial and survey of a 1997 3788. Looking at the pictures on Yacht world I see quite a bit of corrosion in the engine room. This is on the engine, genset cover, rudder brackets, tie rod, engine mounts etc. It seems like it may be more than normal corrosion from salt water air being drawn through the engine room. I say that having compared pictures of other engine rooms with salt water boats of similar age regardless of engine hours. I begin to suspect that the engine room was at least partially flooded with salt water at one time and the corrosion may in fact be more like electrolysis. I will be giving it a thorough inspection and would like to include bore scope camera inspection around the tanks. I believe the fuel tanks are located ahead of the engines? Is there any access to them for inspection? Has anyone had to replace or service one of these fuel tanks?

Please disregard my signature indicating 3888 purchase. That is old. The cutover to the new forum set it back to an old signature and tested my patience so I have not updated it yet.
    Last edited by Bacon; 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM. Reason: added signature block caveat
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian, MMSI 338355743
    1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

The tanks are under the port stateroom bed, the plywood needs to be removed, that being said the tanks can be removed that way and or inspected, the bottom is a bit tougher, you need a mirror or some kind of viewing scope. I use my phone camera often for such issues.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

• Bacon
      Bacon commented
      Editing a comment
      BOatworkfl you probably noticed my earlier posts with 3888 questions. I had to walk away from that boat and now in pursuit of a 3788.

Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post
    The tanks are under the port stateroom bed, the plywood needs to be removed, that being said the tanks can be removed that way and or inspected, the bottom is a bit tougher, you need a mirror or some kind of viewing scope. I use my phone camera often for such issues.
    Wrong boat. The OP is referring to a 3788, not a 3888.

You can see enough of the 3788 tanks to inspect the surfaces toward the centerline of the boat and a bit of the top. The rest of the top and the area between the hull and the tank will require an inspection mirror, inspection camera, etc. The only access to the top of the 3788 tanks is a couple of small hatches above the fuel probes. These are inside he setee on the starboard side and the entertainment center on the port side.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Sorry Tony, I forgot to mention all the engine room rust as one of my concerns. I didn't even want to know, another reason we passed. BUT, another HUGE area for negotiation, hence my valuation. Where would you keep the boat?
      Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ
      |
      Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
      2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
      2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
      2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
      2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
      And 12 others...
      In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
        Sorry Tony, I forgot to mention all the engine room rust as one of my concerns. I didn't even want to know, another reason we passed. BUT, another HUGE area for negotiation, hence my valuation. Where would you keep the boat?
        Jeff, that is my biggest concern as well. It looks to me that the engine room was flooded at one time based upon what I can see in the pictures. It looks more like electrolysis than rust. The rudder brackets, genset cover, connector, engine mounts, valve covers to name a few. I've searched pictures of engine rooms on other boats and none are anywhere near as bad. The more I think about it the more I agree with your valuation. In pictures I've seen it appears the carpets got replaced.

The boat will initially be kept in Portland Oregon. My broker suggested cost to transport around $5k not including prep for ship and reassembly after. If purchased it will likely spend its entire time with us in fresh water.
        Tony Bacon,
        Washougal, WA
        Caspian, MMSI 338355743
        1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Working...
        X