Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailering a 1999 3055

I know it may seem like a stupid question, but here we go:

I've always dreamed about making the run from Miami to Bimini. Now I've got a boat that I think could make the trip...if I can get it there. I live in Atlanta, so it'd be about a 700 mile run, I think. I'm checking into my options to get the boat to Miami. I THINK I could ship it for about $2/mile(?). That's a very unscientific guess. The other option would be to try to find a trailer to tow it down there. My question is, is that even a realistic option? I've seen 2 weights listed for this boat... 10K or 12K. Either way, it's a big boat that probably wouldn't be easy towing.

Any thoughts? I'm not in a hurry. I wouldn't be making this trip until next summer, at the earliest. I'm just doing some preliminary research/dreaming.
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM.
    Dan
    1999 Bayliner 3055
    2003 Triumph 150 CC
    2016 Yamaha VX Delux

It could be trailered but renting a trailer may be next to impossible for a boat that size idk. A few guys here trailer 32's but it's not for everybody.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I bought my 2007 305 in 2009 in Charleston, SC and towed it home to AZ. I used to be a long haul truck driver, so I was pretty comfortable, the exception being the 11' beam. (Atlanta construction zones being the scariest!) I towed it with a 2000 F-250 diesel, plenty of power, braking and load capacity. My trailer is a galvanized custom built 5th wheel hitch with two 7,000 lb. axles, total gvwr of 16,000+ lbs. with electric over hydraulic brakes.

My emphasis here is that I have the training, experience and proper equipment to tow that load. The trailer alone cost me $12,000 in 2008, and you probably know what a decent truck costs these days. As to weight, the trailer is 2,800 lbs and the empty new boat was about 12,500 lbs. Now you have all the reasons why I suggest you have it shipped, unless you plan to tow it many times in the future to make it worthwhile to acquire the proper equipment and training.
      Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ
      |
      Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
      2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
      2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
      2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
      2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
      And 12 others...
      In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

It all depends on your set up. I bought a 2005 Glacier Bay 2685 (Loaded 12,000 lbs). Pulled it From South East Kentucky to Key Largo Florida and crossed over to the Bahamas 2 times. 2,100 miles round trip. Each trip was over 3 weeks. We pulled it with a 2004 Ford 250 4x4. The only problems we had 1. Blew a tire 2. Brake partially closed. My family and I still relish those trips as the memories we made will last a life time for my family. I personally DO NOT think pulling/towing the boat was that big a deal. We went 55mph and only towed during the day. We were in no rush and safety trumped everything. I would not hesitate to do it again. As a matter of fact we are talking about doing it again this summer. Good luck. JC
        Looking for my next boat. Down sizing!
        SE KY & Key Largo
        1998 Sea Ray 450 DA (Sold)
        2005 Glacier Bay 2685 (Sold)

Comment

I tow a 32 foot and a 34 foot. ( old school 32 and 34). 12 foot and 13 foot wide respectively. I tow about 350 miles one way usually. That is the distance to the coast from my house.. most of its freeway and it's all one state so I get one permit and don't have to deal with differing laws.

I can tell you your boat doesn't weigh what at the specs say. Find someone on this forum that can give you a more realistic weight #. For example specs say my 32 weighs 10500#'s actual weight of my trailer is 3000#'s. On the scale my 32 empty no liquids no stuff is 17000lbs. 19900 lbs loaded.

My 34 foot empty weighs in at 18140 lbs. Specs say 12000 so some where there is about a 3000 lb difference accounting for the trailer.

Towing is not that bad on the freeways it's when you have to manage off freeway roads that is the tough part. Never go down a road you don't know what's down it. It's really hard to back up.

I carry a infrared temp sensor and check the trailer hubs and tires every couple of hundred miles for checking their condition. Go slow a realistic travel time is almost double what it would take you to do same trip in a car. I can go to coast in my car 5 hours and about 9 hours towing. I only go about 55 -60 mph towing and I stop often.

You will need tools to change hubs tires and so on. Extra set or two of wheel bearings and good bottle back or floor jack and stuff to fix repair replace trailer lights.

Wide load signs front and back. Some states require flags on the corners ( Washington does)

It's not that bad but it's not for everybody.

Know that if the boat weighs 12000 the trailer is going to be 2500-3000 so you are going to have a 15000 lb load. Best hauled dry and little stuff inside. My boat rig is nearly 70 feet long keep in mind you won't be switching lanes much and hang out in the right lane.

After 700 miles your boat will most likely be filthy so once you get there you will need a staging day before and a staging to return.
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, at the moment it's in the very early planning/dreaming stages. My gut tells me I'd end up shipping it. It may cost more, but could also save my marriage.
            Dan
            1999 Bayliner 3055
            2003 Triumph 150 CC
            2016 Yamaha VX Delux

Comment

If you are going for a weekend or a week, it isn't worth what you have to learn to make the trip. 1. Your trailering skills must be better than good to do this. Read what Jeff says about that. 2. Do you have any ocean skills? A dinky lake like Lanier doesn't count for anything. The trip is easy on the right day, but you don't control the gulfstream or the wind or the storms if they all get together for a happy sinking party. There are charter companies in Miami that make that trip all the time. Why don't you sign on as a passenger/crew member and learn what is all about before you try it on your own boat? You'll save thousands of $$ and have just as good a time. Plus you have a licensed captain who's been there once or twice to guide you. Don't worry, the charter boat caps will let you steer. :lol:
              David
              http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
              http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Yeah, this isn't a trip I'd make solo. My plan is to meet my brother and one of his buddies (both fish offshore in Charleston) and take at least 2 boats for the trip. I also remember reading about a group that makes the trip several times each summer. They welcome anyone to join them. If memory serves, they do a "captain's meeting" Thursday night, leave Friday morning and return Monday.

All of this is moot if I can't get "Why Knot" to Miami, though.
                Dan
                1999 Bayliner 3055
                2003 Triumph 150 CC
                2016 Yamaha VX Delux

Comment

Yeah, this isn't a trip I'd make solo. My plan is to meet my brother and one of his buddies (both fish offshore in Charleston) and take at least 2 boats for the trip. I also remember reading about a group that makes the trip several times each summer. They welcome anyone to join them. If memory serves, they do a "captain's meeting" Thursday night, leave Friday morning and return Monday.

All of this is moot if I can't get "Why Knot" to Miami, though.
                  Dan
                  1999 Bayliner 3055
                  2003 Triumph 150 CC
                  2016 Yamaha VX Delux

Comment

Working...
                  X