New to us 4788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to us 4788

I've been mostly lurking on BOC, reading and researching as we went through the boat buying process.

But today we have a fairly large announcement to make: We just completed the purchase of a 2002 Bayliner 4788!

This is the end of a 2-year process for us, as we looked for our next boat. We required at least 2 full-time staterooms, a comfortable salon and galley, a large dinghy I can fish off of, solid hull and engines. and all the comforts of home as we want to treat this boat as our 2nd home. Our wish-list included a pilothouse, canvas enclosures to expand our living space, modern electronics, and turn-key condition. The 4788 checked most of the boxes, and those that it didn't have are easy additions (notably modern electronics and canvas).

Last week we took ownership, and on Sunday we delivered her to her new home in Tacoma. The weather wasn't ideal for our first time taking her out, as it was a bit breezy with lots of debris in the water from the flooding that had occurred due to rain the week prior. But the boat handled herself perfectly in the conditions, and was comfortable enough that everyone was able to take at least a short nap on the cruise.

There's a ton of stuff for us to learn, and a few projects that we have planned, but the vast majority of them are cosmetic and there's no specific time-frame; the only major issue that needs to be resolved is that the lead-acid batteries are basically toast and need to be replaced, as well as a bit of deferred maintenance on the engines. Nothing major as both surveys (mechanical and condition) came back very clean. I hope you'll indulge me as I have questions on things as they come up. We've been boat owners for over 15 years, and this is our 4th "real" boat, but she's 10' bigger than anything we've ever owned, and probably more than 10x as complicated.

I'll have a bigger write-up on my blog later.

Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 11-07-2017, 10:26 AM.
    Thanks,
    Matt B.
    2002 Bayliner 4788
    Previously: 1984 34' CHB, 1986 28' Bayliner Contessa, 1986 Catalina 30, 1976 Catalina 28
    https://mvcesc.wordpress.com/

Congratulations you picked a great boat. But then again I may be a bit biased.

Have a great time with your new boat.
    Northport NY

Comment

Very exciting times, congratulations and post more pics!
      2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
      Seattle, WA

Comment

Excellent Choice.....also showing my bias ;-)
        We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Comment

A few more pictures:

Click image for larger version  Name:	22552937_10155799705189801_8801176684669346443_o.jpg Views:	2 Size:	397.2 KB ID:	396114

Click image for larger version  Name:	22769580_10155799708674801_5215097910470679155_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.6 KB ID:	396111

Click image for larger version  Name:	22712565_10155799706314801_6767054330588609879_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	328.1 KB ID:	396112
          Click image for larger version  Name:	22555389_10155799706064801_2046375053600029613_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	560.4 KB ID:	396113
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mattkab; 12-01-2017, 05:46 PM.
          Thanks,
          Matt B.
          2002 Bayliner 4788
          Previously: 1984 34' CHB, 1986 28' Bayliner Contessa, 1986 Catalina 30, 1976 Catalina 28

Comment

Congratulations!

I must say I am a little jealous everytime someone buys a pilothouse. That is our dream boat someday.
            Joel
            1987 3818 Hino 175
            "Knotty Girl"
            Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Congratulatons!

One thing I can guarantee is that the more time you spend in the boat, and the more time you spend talking to people with other large boats, the more you will apreciate your 4788.

We have just completed our sixth active cruising season in our 4788, and cannot say enough good about the boat.

Again bravo on your new boat!!!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
              https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Congrats,

I bought mine 14 years ago and have never regretted it.

I'm winterizing this week and will have to go back to Hawaii until it warms up here in Olympia. Can't wait to come back.

Chris

Comment

Congrats. Awesome boats. And at least you had blue skies !
                  BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                  5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                  Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Congratulations on your boat, looks beautiful. I'll be coming down to Olympia in about a week to hopefully pick up a 3870. I have a question for you: do you know how long it would take to cruise from Olympia to Victoria, BC at maybe 11 knots? How worrisome are weather conditions this time of year down there. I am a total boat noob, going to be learning as I go.

Comment

Bryguy, getting from Olympia to Victoria has a few weather dependent options. You will want to pay attention to tides and currents along the way and, were it me, first, don't take any stray from the channels leaving Olympia or you might end up on a sand bar. I like going on the east side of Anderson Island then head through the Tacoma Narrows. I suggest you avoid an incoming tide there. Why fight a 3-4kn current if you don't have to. Gig Harbor is a good stop and the Tides Tavern is well known for good food, and they have their own dock. My prefence is to go up Colvos Passage on the west side of Vasion Island primarily because it's more protected. Continue on past Bainbridge Island to Kingston where you will want to top off your fuel tanks. They usually have a very good price on diesel. Next is the big weather check. If predictions are for ver6 calm winds you can head up Admiralty Inlet to Point Hudson at Port Townsend or continue on across the straight to Victoria. Or, take the "inside" route up Saratoga Passage on the east side of Whibey Island and enter the San Juan's via Deception Pass if your timing is right or going up the Swinomish Slough past LaConner and Anacortes. From either one you could follow the ferry route and enter the San Juan's via Thatcher Pass and exit through Spiden Channel over to Sidney then south around the corner to Victoria. That's a significantly longer route, but much more protected with lots of opportunities to enjoy ports along the way.

I have found that 11kn isn't a great speed for my boat. If I'm at the lower helm, it's getting tough to see and it seems like I'm plowing water pretty bad even with the trim tabs all the way "bow down". I played with eight knots and from there to about nine and a half seem to be speed the boat really likes. If yo7 have a full flying bridge enclosure getting up and running at 2800, about 16kn for me is not bad cat all, and the engines do need some time at the higher rpms from time to time.

I suggest you plot the courses out several ways so you can adjust as you go. The 38's are solid comfortable boats but they can roll, especially in confused seas like I've run into off Pt Wilson by Port Townsend. No wind, just a big dropping outgoing tide and the rapids in 200 feet of water were really something. And not in a good way. We slogged along for half an hour before I found an exit to calm water. I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to keep you safe. Heck, I'd like to go with you.

This time of year? I'd plan on three to five days. Ther first day you probably won't get going until noon and dark is around five. If day two starts at first light and the weather is looking really good, Port Townsend is a good candidate, then up early for the last forty or so miles. Add a day if you go up Saratoga with not site seeing. Plus a weather day or two.

That's my rambling take on it, it's free and worth every dime you paid for it. Good luck and congrats to both of you on you new to you boats.
                      P/C Pete
                      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Bryguy,

Plus a bunch on what PCPete said (he's a friend, and we're both Past Commodores of Edmonds Yacht Club). In your boat at this time of year the last thing you want to do is try to maintain a schedule. Boiling down Pete's suggestions, I would do the following:

Day One: Olympia to Gig Harbor. Overnight at Gig Harbor.

Day Two: Gig Harbor to Kingston and get fuel there, or Gig Harbor to Everett and stop at Brownsville for fuel. Good fuel prices at Brownsville.

Day Three: Kingston/Everett to LaConner. Great town, nice location on the Swinomish Channel.

Day Four: LaConner to Victoria.

If the boating weather is crummy (windy, rough waters) hunker down for a day or two as needed.

If the boat is new to you the short travel days give you time to address unexpected issues like plugged fuel filters and other things that may not be working right.

If you haven't joined a yacht club you might consider it. Every stop I mentioned on the way to Victoria has reciprocal slips. It's always nice to pay five dollars a night instead of the market rate and at this time of year the recip slips are usually open.

Comment

You are in my cruising grounds on this run, so I know these waters fairly well. Olympia to Victoria is a 115 mile run via Pt. Townsend, estimating 17 hours of run-time at 7kts. I agree with everything that PcPete said regarding your trip, so please consider the following an addendum to his post, not a difference.

All of Budd Inlet is a 6+ mile 5kt no-wake zone, and the only navigable part is on the west side (fully marked with dayboards). I budget for an hour just to get through the inlet.

I'm assuming you want to make good time, and do the trip in a relatively quick manner, so these are my suggestions for that

A fantastic first day would be Olympia to Eagle Island for a lunch stop. Eagle is a tiny island just north of Anderson Island, and is one of our favorite places in all of the south Sound. You have quite a few options for overninghting, and I would say it depends a lot on the tides at the Narrows. Narrows Marina is on the south side, if you can't get through in a good time, and on the north side you have the Gig Harbor option (though I am nervous suggesting it with the very tight entry in an unfamiliar boat). Other options would be Tacoma (Foss waterway has lots of marina options, as does Hylebos), but my suggestion would be the Breakwater marina, just to the north of the Narrows for the location as well as a celebratory dinner at Anthony's restaurant right there. Just time your departure from Eagle Island to get a boost from the tides.

You have lots of options for day 2.... Downtown Seattle or Elliott bay, Bainbridge Island, Shilshole, even Poulsbo. But my suggestion would be to make a good days run and pull in to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island for the night. I really enjoy that stop, and there are lots of facilities for parts, repairs, fuel, etc.

Day three, carefully time the tides to hit Deception pass at slack, and make a choice... spend another night aboard in the southern San Juans, or make the run straight to Victoria Harbor.

I have found this cruising distances table to be a valuable resource when planning a trip from a particular location.
                          Thanks,
                          Matt B.
                          2002 Bayliner 4788

Comment

Thanks for the detailed advice everybody. I should be able to put together a safe route for sure now.

Comment

One quick tip if you're a noob. Ownload the navionics app for your phone. iPhone works great. You can autoroute and change speeds very easily and it spits out your time. In 5 Minutes you can look at all different options for cruise speeds and routes and it gives you a great estimate of time to run. If you put in your guess at fuel burn at speeds it also shows you gallons used. Super useful. Just a tip for while you are playing with options. Yes you can do it all on a plotter. Bit this way you can do it in the bathroom at work . Where all my route planning starts. Haha
                              BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                              5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                              Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Working...
                              X