Oil residue on top of water (4588 1988)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil residue on top of water (4588 1988)

Just notice this while untying my boat at the marina this weekend coming from the starboard engine. Engine oil is good and the transmission cooler was changed in July. Any ideas of what to look for?

It could be lube oil of it could be fuel hard to tell unless I am there and can see how it spreads and reacts when released.

With that said it could be as simple as a 'blob' f exhaust residue spilling out all at one time.

It takes very little amount of fuel or oil to make a sheen , les than a teaspoon for sure so fining these are a bit of a hunt.

You say you have no losses or contamination in the lube oil.

Questions for you to get you thinking....

- how much oil residue is in the turbo's turbine housing and the air cleaner

- what do the inspection plates look like on the intercoolers

- when were the injectors last checked

- does it only do this when its cold and the boat has only run at lower speeds

That's a start anyway - hope it helps
    Northport NY

Comment

Could be a trim tab or a neighbour. Go for a cruise and see if it follows.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Check the trim tab reservoir.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

I had a Trans cooler show a sheen but no water in the transmission just losing a bit of oil on each run.
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Just notice this while untying my boat at the marina this weekend coming from the starboard engine.
            Were your engines even running at the time? Are you sure it's coming from your boat?
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]
            Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

How does your bilge look? Any oil or crud in there that the bilge pump could be pumping out?
              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              2018 Element 16
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
              Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

"Jim Gandee" post=828817 wrote:
                Just notice this while untying my boat at the marina this weekend coming from the starboard engine.
                Were your engines even running at the time? Are you sure it's coming from your boat?
                Yes unfortunately I was missing a detail in my description. The pics were taken when I got back to the marina after running for an hour.

Comment

"green650" post=828842 wrote:
                  How does your bilge look? Any oil or crud in there that the bilge pump could be pumping out?
                  Full of water beneath that engine. But that's another problem I'm working on...

Comment

"smitty477" post=828689 wrote:
                    It could be lube oil of it could be fuel hard to tell unless I am there and can see how it spreads and reacts when released.

With that said it could be as simple as a 'blob' f exhaust residue spilling out all at one time.

It takes very little amount of fuel or oil to make a sheen , les than a teaspoon for sure so fining these are a bit of a hunt.

You say you have no losses or contamination in the lube oil.

Questions for you to get you thinking....

- how much oil residue is in the turbo's turbine housing and the air cleaner

- what do the inspection plates look like on the intercoolers

- when were the injectors last checked

- does it only do this when its cold and the boat has only run at lower speeds

That's a start anyway - hope it helps
                    Not sure what the inspection plates are. I will look that over in the manual this weekend. I don't believe the injectors were ever checked. The previous owner did not do much preventive maintenance. At least he did regular oil changes.

Comment

Here is what the inside of the inspection plates looks like. On the starboard engine the was a screw in the middle and when I took it off some water came out. Is that normal?

Comment

No idea if you've resolved this, but does that engine smoke more than the other ? I would be suspect of injectors not firing properly, especially with the lack of maintenance you mentioned. Where are you located ?
                        1987 3218 135 hp Hino's
                        Bremerton Yacht Club
                        '00 Road King

Comment

Originally posted by fjfool View Post
                          No idea if you've resolved this, but does that engine smoke more than the other ? I would be suspect of injectors not firing properly, especially with the lack of maintenance you mentioned. Where are you located ?
                          Actually, I'd say the port engine smokes more until it warms up. A bit of smoke even out of both engines at WOT. The 10' waves I hit out in the Atlantic this summer seems to have shaken a few things loose in the engines. I had all sorts of leeks that were fixed by tightening clamps. Curious about my post of the intercoolers if they need cleaning. I'm on the east cost in the Montreal area.

Comment

Working...
                          X