Turbo clearance-gctid828573

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo clearance-gctid828573

My port turbocharger failed. I used the numbers off the old one to order a new one. The old oil drain tube on the bottom of the turbo hits the exhaust turbo chassis. It appears the diameter of the new turbo is slightly larger than the old one. When the oil drain tube is tightened the tube touches the chassis, leaving no room to slide on the rubber tube and clamp. If I install the tube and clamp first, I can't get the holes to line up because the rubber moves the base out of alignment. It appears the angle of the tube needs to be increased or the neck portion extended about 1/2".

I have searched the web for a different tube with attached flange but have been unsuccessful. I have attached a pic of the existing tube; and another pic of the old set up.

Question - Are there different styles (angles) of turbo drain tubes?

Attached files

OK, Bolt up the exhaust side to the wet exhaust manifold. Then loosen the band that mates the cast iron exhaust side to the Aluminum air side and gently rotate the air side until you have the required clearance. They are made so that you can adjust the air side to fit a variety of engine options.

The picture below is to show the mating band and is not the correct turbo for your engine. I used it to show the band. (which once had me scratching my head for an hour before I figured it out.)

"Adios Dinero"
    1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
    Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Yep the other Gary has it nailed! Loosen everything if you need to, then slowly tighten until you have clearance that you are happy with. Sometimes I will even place a washer or spacer in areas where clearance is tight, tighten down, then loosen, remove spacer, and all is well.

Sometimes castings and parts are not perfect. I have had to heat and tweak things in a vice with some leverage more times than I can remember.

I always look at things like I am an engineer building a prototype. Tweak this, adjust that, etc etc.
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Many thanks for the tips.

I am not a mechanic but saw the clamp; too chicken to try adjustments.

I'll update after the work Monday.

Comment

Update - I examined the ability to adjust (or spin) the intake side of the turbo. If this is done, the alignment for the oil intake will not line up and the exhaust side of the turbo is round making any adjustment the same angle in proportion to the oil drain elbow. I am leaning towards cutting the elbow at the yellow arrow and welding on a 1/2" extension to the neck.

Attached files

Comment

Working...
          X