Chasing intermittent steam-Hino EH700-gctid828560

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing intermittent steam-Hino EH700-gctid828560

One of my sons had commented about the starboard engine "smoking" when he used it last summer. Engine temps were at 175 and hands were laid on the risers, new in 5/2015, and the starboard one was a bit warmer than the port. I instructed him how to clean out the strainers and, no steam. He and his oldest brother were fishing last weekend and called me saying the steam was back and sent me a picture. Yup, idling along and steaming like an old raw water cooled boat. I had been out with them the previous weekend with no issues. They shut the engine down for an hour then started it to run back from Edmonds to Dagmar's, about 15 miles at nine knots with no issue.

Okay, time to replace the impellers. I was expecting to find the starboard impeller with chunks missing or heavy cracks. Nothing. It was a bit soft, as was the port impeller when we got that one out. They were the brand name expensive ones with unknown hours on them. We use the boat year round and I know we put 140 hours on the boat since purchasing it in August, 2016. Obviously a new set of impellers, Jabsco this time, were installed today, but I'm scratching my head about what could be causing this intermittent steaming. The exhaust outlet is at the water level so it's really hard to gauge flow at low speed and not much better while traveling. The transmission coolers were replaced just prior to our purchase and the manicoolers were serviced in May, 2015.

Any ideas?
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

I would run a pressure test on the cooling system. Just use an auto radiator tester. Borrow one or buy one from Harbor Freight.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

I'm not sure, subscribing since mine has puffed some white smoke occasionally but everything else checked out I've kind of ignored it.
      . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Mm- I did that one early on. Not loosing any coolant, pressure held for hours.
        P/C Pete
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

I bet you are getting liquid into the exhaust. Pressure test showed it was not the antifreeze side. That leaves the raw water side, leaking or running hot. Ideas: blocked manicooler tubes, blocked tubes in transmission cooler, blocked riser, blocked collapsed hose, sea strainer or air leak on strainer cap, oil cooler?
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Ours smokes once in a while especially after storms, or if we have been anchored in rough seas fishing. I attributed it to sea water being pushed into the exhaust via waves. It always burns off/clears up in ten minutes or so. Happens once or twice a year.
            Joel
            1987 3818 Hino 175
            "Knotty Girl"
            Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

One time at band camp (a little humor from the movie American Pie) I picked up some seaweed into the strainer on the bottom of the hull. The weed did not make it to the on board strainer, just lodged in the pick up which restricted the raw water flow. At higher rpms I'd start to see steam due to restricted flow. Once the hull strainer was cleared no more steam.
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Jim, three of my our four kids marched in competition. The oldest was in choir. My wife was very active in the management of band camp, one year she was planning the food and meeting the Costco minimum for delivery. Not much of a problem with 235 mouths to feed for a week. I, and my team were putting on a lean procurement seminar in Tokyo when an email came in from my wife and an icon popped up on the computer were were using for the slide part of the presentation. My colleague operating the keyboard decided it would be a good idea to put the email up on the screen. Our audience was made up of Japanese, South Korean, Chinese and Australian. The email was about her shopping progress to the Costco minimum and that she had spend $4600 so far on groceries. As the audience got to the money spent, there was a collective gasp to which the guy on the keyboard responded "Peter is very wealthy".

I plan to check the trans coolers for something that could get in the way, then monitor the situation. It could be as you experienced, just some temporary junk.
                P/C Pete
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                X