Fuel tank plumbing 32xx-gctid400062

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank plumbing 32xx-gctid400062

I thought when I bought my boat that the port tank feeds the port engine and starboard tank to starboard engine. I haven't put enough hours on the boat yet to see if there's a difference in consumption, but it looks like I may be drawing more fuel from the starboard thank than the port. I haven't found a three way valve yet, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks,

I had a 3288 and my fuel valves were located on the firewall near the top in the lower berth. Open the shelf hatch under the rear window and look there.

Comment

For some reason, my port engine always burns a few more gallons than the starboard. It may have something to do with how it's tuned or it may always be ruining a few rpms faster than the starboard. The star wars gages aren't that accurate and it's hard to tell if the engines are synchronized. I adjust them by listening to them. For the lack of a better word, they seem to "harmonize" when they are close to the same rpms.

As far as the fuel lines go, I haven't noticed any valves and also assume that they feed each tank respectively. Now you have me wondering so I'll have to take a closer look next trip to the boat.

Comment

No valves on ours....and have looked in the past and had both the surveyor and mechanic try to find some, too

Comment

My 94 3288 with 150 Hinos does the same. In a previous thread there was a discussion about this and the issue is that one of the transmissions is actually running in reverse. There is a slightly different gear ratio in reverse than forward, hence the port engine uses slightly more fuel. I consistently use about 10 gallons more on the port side than the starboard. I don't have a manual here (i's on the boat) so I can't give you specifics.
          Rick
          2002, 3788

Comment

The 32xx was factory setup to allow you to "Cross Over" the tanks. That is feed either engine from either tank. There is not a 3-way valve, but three valves lined up in a row just above the forward bulk head. To cross over you open the middle valve, then close one of the other valves leaving you with one tank to feed both engines from. If this was removed by a previous owner this is bad. You always need a backup. What if one tank is empty or clogged, etc... You want to be able to run both engines from one tank.

Regarding fuel consumption. The gear running in the "B" slot, that is reverse, has a slightly different gear ratio which indeed will cause slightly greater load and greater fuel consumption.
            1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
            2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
            2019 Cobia 240 CC
            2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
            1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Yeah mine has a valve that allows you to choose a tank or both; Slightly towards the S side under the hatch in the stateroom. This is very nice to have so you can keep more gas in port if you like to fight the starboard list. Good for piece of mind as well.

The PO had tried to intergrate this idea with the generator and screwed everything up. I disconnected all that and now feed the genny from one tank.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, looks like Bayliner may have had couple different designs. I will check at the boat on my next trip and see what I got.

Comment

My fuel tanks fed it's corresponding engine until I put in a crossover. It has been a Godsend when you are troubleshooting fuel issues. My port engine also consumes more fuel about 10-20g more per fuel tank.

Comment

Mine has the krosover valve between the ather two. But it is usles om diesel engins!

The returen fule fr.o.m. The diesel pump is still conekted to the original tank, you Will full upp the non ust tank in no time whid the return fule.
                    subscribe to my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/c/MyBoatandMylife

Comment

No valves? How would you change fuel filters if there were no valves to shut off? The transmission ratio mentioned above explains the difference in consumption. The ratios are stamped on the transmission.
                      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Sounds like diesel boats have the cross over valves as installed by factory, the gas boats do not unless installed by an Owners.
                        2019 Cobia 240 CC

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

CarMan wrote:
                          Mine has the krosover valve between the ather two. But it is usles om diesel engins!

The returen fule fr.o.m. The diesel pump is still conekted to the original tank, you Will full upp the non ust tank in no time whid the return fule.
                          This is an issue for Diesel boats. Adding a fuel return line cross over is on my project list for next fall.
                          2019 Cobia 240 CC

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

I leave the valves set so that both engines feed from both tanks. That way they equalize and when I fuel up my tanks always take the same amount of fuel.

Comment

Uncle Bob wrote:
                              No valves? How would you change fuel filters if there were no valves to shut off? The transmission ratio mentioned above explains the difference in consumption. The ratios are stamped on the transmission.
                              On my boat, no gas goes through the lines if the fuel pump isn't pumping. The engines have to be running for my pumps to pump.

When I change filters, I cut the top out of a milk jug and hold it under the filter housing while I'm un-screwing it. Any gas that leaks in the process drips into the jug. After the housing is loose, I dump the gas out of it and into the jug. Then I replace the filter with the new one and screw the housing back on.

As with everything, you just need to take your time and be careful.

Comment

Working...
                              X