Shaft Locks?-gctid400060

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft Locks?-gctid400060

Ok, got a question for owners of a 3888.. we wanna know what shaft lock device your using, and if you have used one....

Why? - the hurth gear is okay to let the prop freewheel if running on one engine.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I'm interested in this, where is a link that shows no damage to the gear freewheeling?

Comment

Salty Logger wrote:
        I'm interested in this, where is a link that shows no damage to the gear freewheeling?
        The Hurth 630 (and ZF 63) is happy freewheeling. The "link" is in your transmission manual.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
          The Hurth 630 (and ZF 63) is happy freewheeling. The "link" is in your transmission manual.
          I think what he and I are saying is.. where is the manual link showing from a Bayliner saying that "freewheeling" wont damage anything if we do this to conserve on fuel... I know shutting off one engine... BUT

Comment

Perhaps I'm not following. I thought I was reading one of two things; that either they don't have a manual, or they need to see interweb info as evidence before they believe the OEM manual.

1. I don't know where/if the Hurth 630A operator manual can be found on line.
            2. Your paper copy of the Hurth manual says plainly and clearly that freewheeling is A-OK. Every owner should either have this manual, or be waiting for it to arrive in the mail this week, because you've already ordered it.

Are we both saying the same thing?

Comment

I have a copy ot the ZF Hurth manual in PDF format, and I unloaded it to the BOC site.

cheers.

Comment

The freewheeling is also ok with the Hurth 450's.
                Sean
                1987 3870
                Crimson Pride II
                Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
                MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Salty Logger wrote:
                  I called Hueth and they said it would not hurt to let it free wheel.

Comment

When tied-up or anchored in a strong current we use the same two large crescent wrenches we use for shaft packing adjustment & replacement to lock the shaft(s) by adjusting them to fit the shaft snugly where the shaft is keyed to the coupler - the key rests against the crescent jaw flat. Then we post a flag on the transmission control to remember! This would not work well underway unless you created a retaining device for the wrench handle to stay put. A similar appoach would be to use strap wrench, with advantages being it would not "bounce" out of position, nor cause as much damage if you forgot to remove. Agree with other posts regarding many mechanical shift Hurths being OK freewheeling - the problem is with hydraulic transmissions as their control and lubrication pumps are one and the same, and are engine driven. I am pretty sure the 450 is mechanical and the 630 is hydraulic, so double check the 630 before freewheeling. Also be sure to note directional (forward vs reverse) lock limitations - the manuals explain this. Good luck, Doug S.

Comment

Working...
                    X