4788 engine room Fireboy replacement-gctid828203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 engine room Fireboy replacement-gctid828203

The engine room fireboy, in my 2000 4788, has lost some pressure over over the years and needs to be replaced. The existing Halon can no longer be used and the replacement Fireboy is twice as tall as the original and won't fit in the same space. Has anyone had experience with this and what solutions did you find?

Thanks - Bob

Not to be demeaning...does the manufacturer offer any help?

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

No, simply this is what we have and good luck!

Comment

Where are you? Contact a local industrial fire extinguisher distribution outfit like AAA in Seattle. You may need to change a remote or indicator, but there are more options out there, just different brands. They are all using an agent that is the replacement for Halon which was a second cousin to fluorocarbon so made the list of no longer allowed.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

If the replacement bottle is too large, how about using two smaller bottles instead?
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA
          Isla Verde, PR

Comment

As I understand it from reading information provided by the NIST, Halon needs to achieve a minimum of 8% saturation of the ambient air in the space in which it is used to be effective. If the smaller bottles can each achieve that minimum it should work. Or if the bottles can be triggered simultaneously it would work even better than one at a time. It seems to me that, as was mentioned, an industrial fire prevention company could manifold two smaller bottles to trigger simultaneously.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

The other alternative is a manifold-type system. These have the bottle installed in a convenient place with one or more lines going to the nozzles.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA
              Isla Verde, PR

Comment

I do not have a photo, but we were able to put the fireboy unit laid down on its side on the port side outside the engine, at the aft end.

The nozzle is just a bit outboard of the port transmission.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

ksanders, is your system the older liquid Halon or the newer compressed gas type?

Greg
                  Newport, Oregon
                  South Beach Marina

Comment

"Mr. Darcy" post=828348 wrote:
                    ksanders, is your system the older liquid Halon or the newer compressed gas type?

Greg
                    It's the newer type.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Do not vent that Halon, the North Slope oil fields buy Halon from shops that re-fill with the new extinguisher versions, it is worth money and we do not want to see it vented.

I have a huge Halon bottle in my engine room, left over from when my boat was a command boat during the Alaska oil spill.

It still holds it's Halon pressure.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"ksanders" post=828334 wrote:
                        I do not have a photo, but we were able to put the fireboy unit laid down on its side on the port side outside the engine, at the aft end.

I would research this before installing. My boat came with a larger halon Fireboy ( I think a 700) that was empty.

I sent it to Fireboy for hydro and refill. They told me this model couldn't be installed on it's side or it would leak. So I had to change it to to a vertical mount.

Comment

"Pacrimrat" post=828646 wrote:
                          "ksanders" post=828334 wrote:

I would research this before installing. My boat came with a larger halon Fireboy ( I think a 700) that was empty.

I sent it to Fireboy for hydro and refill. They told me this model couldn't be installed on it's side or it would leak. So I had to change it to to a vertical mount.
                          Mine was rated for horizntal installation. It came with a nice instruction manual and a nice cradle for horizontal mounbting. :-)

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Thanks for the info! My big problem as I look at the port side engine room is how will I get it there! I talked with fireboy and the unit is ok horiz but i am old and kinda fat! did you mount it to the deck? Any details you can provide are greatly appreciated! Nothing beats experience.

Thanks for your help - Bob

Comment

"vpool" post=828776 wrote:
                              Thanks for the info! My big problem as I look at the port side engine room is how will I get it there! I talked with fireboy and the unit is ok horiz but i am old and kinda fat! did you mount it to the deck? Any details you can provide are greatly appreciated! Nothing beats experience.

Thanks for your help - Bob
                              What I did was to put it forward of the port engine, then push it down the length of the engine on the outside.

I was easier than it sounds. Then I just mounted it to the floor using big screws.

BTW all 4788 owners are old I think! Me included!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                              X