4788 Swim platform replacement or repair-gctid827568

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Swim platform replacement or repair-gctid827568

Banged up a corner of the swim platform pretty bad during a docking debacle. First estimates to repair are several boat bucks. Anyone know of a source for replacements in the greater Seattle area? Anyone have a Fiberglass shop they are pleased with? I am going to call NHD today and see what they do with the ones they remove for hull exstensions..
    Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

At close to a hundred bucks an hour for skilled labor it would not suprise me a bit if a "major" repair came to a couple thousand or more.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

http://www.boatersdiscountcenter.com/
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

PLASTEAK might be your answer for replacement. They charge $.40/sq inch.

https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-re...swim-platforms
        MY 3988
        M/V MMPOWRD
        Poulsbo, WA

Comment

I have a call into Boaters Discount center and will look into plasteak
          Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

CSR in Des Moines just rebuilt my 47 swim step. It had a bad owie on rear stbd corner and other dings. I have hit that corner and had it repaired about 8 or 9 times. I now have a black moulding protecting the rear and sides of my swim step. It is about 4 inches thick and about 3 inches in height. It is 2 piece. The center round section had to be boiled in water in a large crab pot to make it flexible. It did make the 2 rear corners nicely. My insurance paid for all the work minus deductable. Boat has to be hauled, washed and blocked all via insurance.

Here is the swim platform protection I had installed. I already had something similar installed in middle of my swim step to protect it when towing. That protection wouild not bend around the swim step corners but this will. I think it is also avail in white from the mfg in Fla.:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/mate...nd-dock-bumper

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/mate...nd-dock-bumper
            Started boating 1965
            Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Please post picture I am very interested in seeing how this product looks installed on a swim step. We are missing a piece of molding on the starboard side of our swim step and I had been thinking about using something similar to make a more forgiving bumper around the edge of the swim step.
              GMS
              2008 Meridian 490
              2010 ArrowCat Express 30 (sold)

Comment

Our M490 sustained damage on the port corner of the swim platform three years ago. I had previously replaced the original plastic edge trim with a larger rubber bumper material, but this stuff adds no strength to the fiberglass of the platform.

As a part of the repair, we replaced the bumper with a rubrail and stainless steel insert around the edge of the swim platform that matched the rubrail on the boat, but sized slightly smaller. The appearance looked factory, and the strength of the platform is increased considerably.
                Rob
                Bayliner 5788
                'Merlin V'
                Vancouver BC

Comment

Who besides NHD does hull extensions on the 47's in the greater puget sound area? I think my best bet is to replace it with a platform from another 4788' I just need to locate one.
                  Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Who besides NHD does hull extensions on the 47's in the greater puget sound area? I think my best bet is to replace it with a platform from another 4788' I just need to locate one.
                    Pacific Marine Center in Anacortes. (360) 299-8820.

pacmarinecenter.com
                    Rob
                    Bayliner 5788
                    'Merlin V'
                    Vancouver BC

Comment

"GMS" post=828046 wrote:
                      Please post picture I am very interested in seeing how this product looks installed on a swim step. We are missing a piece of molding on the starboard side of our swim step and I had been thinking about using something similar to make a more forgiving bumper around the edge of the swim step.
                      I can not post a photo being in Az for the winter. I suppose you could drive to Des Moines, Wa and get an attendant to let you into N dock. Boat is MomsToy. Swim Step likely pretty dirty by now.m
                      Started boating 1965

Comment

Are you going to keep the swim ladder? I'm looking for the brackets that mount to the lift hatch.

Comment

No idea yet, the reapairs are expensive as is replacement with new. Finding a used platform from a extension installer seems like the best way to go, just can't locate one at the present.
                          Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

The problem is that with the 4788/490 out of production for 8 years now, the hull extension market has pretty well dried up.

It's improbable that you are going to find a swim step laying around anywhere. They take up space, and if you think about it they take away from a boat yard being able to keep their tech's busy with repairs. It's a no win for the boat ward.

Repairing a swim platform isn't beyond the average guys skills if you take it off and spend some time in the garage

KEVIN SANDERS
                            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                            www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                            https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I suspect any 47 or 49 owner for any time period has bashed his stbd and maybe even his port swim step corner. There is no driving location you can use to see the rear corners of the boat. I suspect that is the reason no boat yard has a 47 swim step they have removed. There are folks that make custom swim platforms for the 47/49. These are usually a lot bigger with dry storage within. It used to be pretty cheap to repair the corners of bashed swim steps. Fiberglass guy came to your boat, put a blue tarp under teh swim step and went to work. None will do it now. Everyone I checked said they had to have the boat hauled and blocked with the new EPA rules. That is the reason I had the extra heavy duty bumper installed around my swim step after it's recent repair. Let the bumper take the bashing and not hopefully the fiberglass.
                              Started boating 1965

Comment

Working...
                              X