Enclosed flybridge on 3988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enclosed flybridge on 3988

Hi all. I live in one of the windier parts of the world and the wind has finally demolished my frame and canvas flybridge covers.

I was thinking about replacing it with a full fiberglass roof (ie back to the radar arch) possibly with solid windows around it to make an enclosed flybridge. I've attached a concept pic of what I'm thinking of.

Has anyone ever done something like this? What are you thoughts / experiences of doing so?

Thanks

Attached files
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM.

Not sure of how much that will weigh but keep that in mind. There is a weight limit posted on the flybridge and depending on where you cruise, that top may make you extra rolly. We replaced the canvas on our previous 3988 and went with 1" steel rather than the 3/4 stock. Made a big difference.

Kevin Spellman

m/v No Plan
    We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Comment

Might give a call to "Boaters Discount" 1-360-466-3540 they have hard tops for a lot of Bayliners talk to "Rod " tell I said HI

Good luck...Brad
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

"brad4550" post=829085 wrote:
        Might give a call to "Boaters Discount" 1-360-466-3540 they have hard tops for a lot of Bayliners talk to "Rod " tell I said HI

Good luck...Brad
        Incidentally, do you know what is the status of Boaters Discount Warehouse? I heard that the owners were trying to sell the business but had no takers.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA
        Isla Verde, PR

Comment

I think if someone offered him a good price / retirement fund he might?? But that rumor been around for many years,we thought about it.....but then came to our senses .... Rod is close now to retirement haha hope he's reading this.
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Having owned a 3988, I would say bad idea as it would put too much weight aloft causing potential rolling motion you do not want to experience when it gets lumpy

This the just my opinion though.
            www.boatyardgm.com
            www.pacificyachtimports.net
            2002 Carver Voyager 57
            "Making Waves"
            3988 250 Hinos
            "The Dark Side"
            Alameda, California

Comment

I have basically done this to my 3888 - If you want to glass in the costs will go up exponentially. Hardtop with canvas windows stays 99% dry, is too warm more often than too cold and will cost probably somewhere around 1/4th of what it would cost to enclose. I have had several people ask me to do another top for them - if I was to do it the hardtop alone (no install or stanchions) would be ~$8K and I wouldn't be making much per hour to do it.

Weight of my top is about 150# (pretty easy for two guys to lift) and while a bit flexy you can walk on it to get up there and wash. Didn't notice any difference is sway of the boat in rough water.

The added space is great to have and we have noted that it will take a big step up to get all the same space we now have.
              1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
              1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Any pictures???
                Alex
                Orange County, Ca.
                2001 3988
                Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Would love to see a couple of pictures please.
                  P/C Bob Hicks JN
                  Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
                  Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
                  Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
                  Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
                  Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X