Max Capacity-gctid399845

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max Capacity-gctid399845

After reading the article of the MY that capsized over the 4th holiday due to overloading (27?) it made me consider the max capacity of my 88' 3218 MY.

Search the Internet with no luck. Any insight from this group?

kevhead wrote:
    After reading the article of the MY that capsized over the 4th holiday due to overloading (27?) it made me consider the max capacity of my 88' 3218 MY.

Search the Internet with no luck. Any insight from this group?
    To some extent it depends on where the folks are located. Bridge loading should be carefully controlled. Folks located in the main cabin are less an impact on danger to the boat and crew. If everyone goes to one side of the boat to look at something, you risk tipping over the boat, if heavily loaded. If I had a 32 I would never consider putting more than 4 or 5 folks on the bridge and maybe that many more in the main cabin worst case and never even close if the water is expected to be anything but flat calm. I read somewhere that the Silverton folks finally came out and said that boat that capsized on the 4th should never have had more than 10 aboard.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

My 3270 has a placard that says 700 lbs max on the flying bridge. I believe the 38xx boats are placarded at 1000lbs. This maybe structual as well as balance but I agree about 4-5 folks on the upper level, unless your firmly tied to the dock, on the 32 is about the max and then its sea state dependent as well.

Comment

Chapmans "Piloting..." says length times breadth divided by fifteen should be acceptable. So for the 32xx that woould be way too much for my taste. I would expect putting a bunch of them on the bridge would tip it over.

Comment

According to that formula that would be 25!!!!! No way! I had 8 on my 32 once for a short cruise along the ICW did not have any issues but felt that 8 was too cramped. That means I should be able to carry 48 on my Californian?

Comment

Working...
          X