4788 guest room water leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 guest room water leak

I have a water leak in the guest bedroom that appears to be coming down the inside of the outboard wall accumulating on the deck under the mattress at the foot end located under the galley stove. I am suspecting the port side deck drain aft of the port pilot house door. The only other source I can imagine is the rub rail. Does anyone have experience with this kind or leak? Does anyone have experience with re-bedding the deck drain?
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 03-12-2021, 10:13 PM.

Vpool, it could be from a few places, including the flybridge drain (behind the side Perspex door cabinet, floor under cabinet). The attached skupper drain hose oftentimes is not attached properly. However you can get to the deck drain base to check whether it's leaking from the cupboard next to the stove. There are access hatches in the back of the cupboard that can be removed and you can drape paper towels around the fitting etc to see if you can track a water trail.

Failing that, the guest room ceiling can come down. The L ceiling corners can come out which will reveal a few more screws and the whole ceiling panel can be removed. That will reveal the cavity immediately under the gunwales to spot any leaks from the railing and you'll be able to tighten the rubrail thru bolts at the same time. The ceiling panel is tight and you'll need a helper to put it back up.

Good luck with it.

Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

VPool - I spent more time on this very problem than any other issue on the boat. Please look at this thread.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...how-underneath

Before you pull the rubrail off, I would definitely check the bottom of the drain. Just stick a running hose on the top of the drain and run your arm up inside the galley cabinet to the bottom of drain and see if it leaks. If it doesn't, I would pull off the rubrail, reseal the hull/deck joint and reattach the rubrail with new hardware. You'll need to take apart the inside of the guest cabin to access the back of the rubrail but it's not that bad a job (I've done it twice).
      Evan
      2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
      League City, TX

Comment

I have experienced a similar leak on our 4588. The fittings under the drain outside the side dor was eroded and there was a gap. Changed the screwed fitting under the drain and connected a new hose between fitting and t-piece. Not an easy acces since the panel at the foot end of the guest bed had to be removed to access it on the side.

Comment

Also try this thread:

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...eak-fix-thread

I had a significant leak from the caulking around the helm cluster on the flybridge. Water ended up in berth 2, berth 3, galley and salon.
        Ron & Kellie
        Just Us 2 - 2001 4788
        New to us September 2020
        Moored in Coal Harbour

Comment

We had a leak in our guest berth also, turned out to be the Port Shore Water inlet. The fitting that screwed into the Shore Water pressure reducer had cracked and was leaking in the same place you describe. On the 4588 there is a cabinet on the left side of the stove/oven and you can access the fitting through that cabinet, if I remember correctly the 4788 does not have that cabinet so I have no suggestions on how to get to it, but if you can access the deck drain behind the Port Pilot House door you should be able to see it.
          Hino W06
          St. Louis, MO
          ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

We had the same leak. Ours was the rub rail. We also recaulked all of the porthole windows. It was an area in the rub rail forward of the pilot house door.

Comment

If you have a vented microwave you should check that louver aft of the pilothouse door. Water drips from the pilothouse window directly onto the louver due to the slope of the cabin wall. I put clamshells over that and the bath vent on the starboard side. No more leaks.
              Irony
              1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
              Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Had a rub rail leak in the aft cabin of our 4087. Found a couple of the screws loose, luckily they were where there was access.

I removed the screws, put 5200 in the holes and coated the screws. Replaced them and tightened, sealed the entire top of the rub rail, leaks stopped.

Comment

We had a similar leak on our 4588. Finally traced to the cleat above the gues berth on the cap rail. We found another source to be a raised/bent life-rail stantion. Both needed to be removed and recaulked. I did all 4 midship cleats as a precaution. I found the one behind (and above)the master head medicine cabinet had leaked enough to have rotted part of the cabinet. I suspect if one is leaking they all are. The caulk is getting old.
                  1991 4588
                  SE Michigan

Comment

Working...
                  X