Battery cable question-gctid825853

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery cable question-gctid825853

I'm going to move an engine start battery to the port side to better balance the boat. It might involve a slightly longer run. Is there any marine magic in a 2/0 battery cable or can I use a generic/automotive cable? Thx
    "Impasse". 2001 3988
    Cummins 330's
    Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Marine wire is "tinned" and will not corrode. Do not jeapordise you insurance coverage by using non marine or ABCY or coast guard approved wire. A couple of bucks is not worth it.

Jim
    1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

Totally agree with Wild Blue Yonder! In addition, non tinned wire sucks up water into the wire braid itself and causes corrosion. I replaced a bunch of wire and connections due to this capillary corrosion. Some of it was factory and some was by prior owners. I fixed the obvious problems. Now I just make the upgrades anytime there is a problem or I modify a system needing new runs or connections. I also recommend using closed terminal ends and heat shrinking with marine heat shrink. It has a glue that melts and seals out moisture. 12 volts is not a lot and voltage drop due to resistance from corrosion is not a good thing.
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

"Wild Blue Yonder" post=825856 wrote:
        Marine wire is "tinned" and will not corrode. Do not jeapordise you insurance coverage by using non marine or ABCY or coast guard approved wire. A couple of bucks is not worth it.

Jim
        So do you have just one sampke of an insurance claim denied for not using tinned battery cables?
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

"mmichellich" post=825964 wrote:

Jim
          So do you have just one sampke of an insurance claim denied for not using tinned battery cables?
          Tinned battery cables will corrode. Sitting inside a battery box exposed to acid fumes from charging they will corrode.
          Started boating 1965

Comment

You may, or probably will, have to increase the size of the cables due to the increased distance. For myself, I like to use cables that have lots of strands.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

"mmichellich" post=825966 wrote:

Jim
              Tinned battery cables will corrode. Sitting inside a battery box exposed to acid fumes from charging they will corrode.
              Tinned battery cables will corrode over time, the best way to prevent this is to use marine rated tinned cables with a heavy duty adhesive heat shrink and tinned copper lugs properly crimped on'
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Marine type tinned copper wire will corrode more slowly than bare copper wire. Since most everything deteriorates, the idea is to use materials that deteriorate more slowly. There is a point at which cost can become a factor. For example, gilded copper wire will corrode more slowly than tinned copper wire. Does one get enough extra life to justify the extra cost of the gold? Probably not. However, in my opinion one should use products and materials that are rated for marine use in a boat. That means that the regulating bodies (USCG, ABYC, etc.) approve of their use in the intended application. Has there been an insurance denial because of using the wrong kind of wire? I personally don't know the answer to that question. Have there been losses due to fire because of using the wrong type of wire? My marine electrician friend who has investigated boat fires says, "yes". It is fuel for a law suit if nothing else, and who wants that, especially if it were a wrongful death law suit. Just some food for thought.

Greg
                Newport, Oregon
                South Beach Marina
                1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

The marine battery cable that is tinned, and made of many smaller gauge wires and is there for more flexible as well. Just replace all our battery cables as the 27 year copper ones had served that life the resistance and stiffness made them tough to work with and effected starting and my inverter.
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I have used nothing but outdoor welding cable to wire my boat batteries over the years. I always buy it used. Contractors have to start most new jobs with new welding cables. For the same outside diameter you get about double the current capacity.
                    Started boating 1965

Comment

I have all marine ABYC wire on my 3870, with-out exception since I rewired it in the late 90's.

I can cut any of the battery cable adhesive heat shrink off the battery cables and they will look like new.

I use only adhesive heat shrink on all electrical wires and heavy duty adhesive heat shrink on battery cables.

I works.

The cheap stuff will not prevent corrosion!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"mmichellich" post=826008 wrote:
                        I have used nothing but outdoor welding cable to wire my boat batteries over the years. I always buy it used. Contractors have to start most new jobs with new welding cables. For the same outside diameter you get about double the current capacity.
                        Curious...why do the contractors have to get new welding cables each time they start a new job? Is there some difference between the used and new cable?

Greg
                        Newport, Oregon
                        South Beach Marina
                        1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                        Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                        Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Jim
                          Insurance claim or not, I would not jeopardize my own boat (and lives of those on board) because I may save some money here. The issue will not show itself up immediately but it will do so, eventually. Whether that causes a fire or some other problem you will need to deal with it then. Deal with it now and get it out of your mind.

Be safe!
                          Retired, computer expert / executive
                          Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                          Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                          D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                          [email protected]
                          [email protected]

Comment

Marine tinned wire is widely available on ebay at a heavy discount.

Ancor cable and wire is available.

The vast majority of wire on my 3870 is Ancor and I use heavy duty adhesive heat shrink on battery cables as well as adhesive heat shrink terminals on all smaller wire.

I can buy 100 ft of 2/0 ANCOR battery cable for $217.00, this is an example, no-one needs 100 ft unless you run cables to the forward v-berth storage.

I find great buys on Ancor or an approved Marine battery cable or wire on ebay, cheap enough that I make money re-selling it on ebay.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                            Twin 350 GM power
                            Located in Seward, AK
                            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I would like to see an explanation how the non tinned cable is going to start a fire.

Doug
                              Started boating 1955
                              Number of boats owned 32
                              Bayliners
                              3870 presently owned
                              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                              X