38xx radar arch...repair or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Snika" post=826085 wrote:
    I need a little guidance in determining if my original radar arch needs repair or replacement. The boat is an '86 3870 and I estimate that it has spent about the last half of it's life under cover, which has been a real benefit for the general condition.

There are no obvious areas of the radar arch that look like a problem but I'm not certain I know what I'm looking for. There are no dead areas when I tap the arch and I can push it up a little, which might indicate that the attachment fasteners are loose.

I would really appreciate some insight into the best way to assess this.

Thank you.
    You'll be able to tell if there's rot by removing the vinyl covered panels. Main area of structural concern is the wood support stringed where the bolts attached to the fly bridge. You may need to loosen those bolts and pry the arch out enough to see the wood or remove the arch completely. The core also tends to rot on the bottom of the arch as well. See my link above as well. No doubt you'll find some rot.
    "Martini's Law" SOLD
    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Dave, I had the local boat yard repair mine. It was pretty rotten. It was not too expensive (relative to other boating costs). Ask Dwayne or Joe at Bell Hart Marine (Inlet Watch) to provide you with a quote (1 mile from your slip). They removed mine with a fork truck from their dock and had a sub contractor take it away. A month later it showed up all repaired and painted to match. I had the vinyl and speakers replaced myself. It worked out nicely and is strong enough to support the radar etc.
      G W Jackson
      '86 Bayliner 3870
      NC Coast - Cape Lookout to Cape Fear

Comment

"gjackson" post=826121 wrote:
        Dave, I had the local boat yard repair mine. It was pretty rotten. It was not too expensive (relative to other boating costs). Ask Dwayne or Joe at Bell Hart Marine (Inlet Watch) to provide you with a quote (1 mile from your slip). They removed mine with a fork truck from their dock and had a sub contractor take it away. A month later it showed up all repaired and painted to match. I had the vinyl and speakers replaced myself. It worked out nicely and is strong enough to support the radar etc.
        Thanks man! So, looks like you have a hard-top on yours...got a larger pic you can post?

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

This aluminum "Commander Uni-Arch" will fit the 38xx, according to the maker, and it only weighs 90 lbs...and it's a darned good price at around $1K! Although I'd probably have them keep the bolt-on rod holders and put a flat aluminum plate on top of it instead...18" 3G radome, two FM antennas, and two VHF antennas are the only things up there, so it's not supporting a lot of weight.

http://www.fishonsports.com/400.html

Someone made a good point...the bimini top wouldn't have to be replaced, but isinglass curtains at least around the sides and back would have to be re-made to fit. Those are in good shape on mine, so I'd rather make this arch last until the bimini and side curtains need replacement also. There is rot in the overhead wood on mine, but I believe the wood where it's bolted to the flybridge is still good (it's stable, not loose...I can wobble/flex the top of the radar arch from side-to-side a little, but it's attachment to the flybridge does not seem to give or be loose, especially not with the side curtains up.) Anyway, at that point where all of this needs to be replaced, a hard-top on an aluminum frame sure would seem to make the most sense.

Dave

Comment

Hi there, where are you located?

Thanks
            {Living our Dream}
            John & Nancy
            1988 Bayliner 38
            175 Hinos 8.5 kw Westerbeke
            Sandy Point Ferndale Washington

Comment

"Masterman" post=826370 wrote:
              Hi there, where are you located?

Thanks
              Found this on his post.

Carolina Beach, NC
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Curious about what it cost to have it repaired. Have an offer in on a 3888 that needs this done. Since it is purchase time I would like to roll the cost into the overall purchase rather than deal with it later but if it is spendy may opt for DIY later. I have seen some boats with a hard flybridge top and no arch. Wonder if the cost to repair the arch is high enough that it warrants considering going for a hard top to put the radar on.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian, MMSI 338355743
                1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

I would gather it would be high on labour cost to pay a boat yard. It's not a hard DYI project if your handy. It was a good winter project for me.
                  "Martini's Law" SOLD
                  1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                  Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Bacon, call Boaters Discount in LaConner, WA. I think they do a lot of arches or somebody nearby does. A friend of mine took his up and they did an exchange plus money and he took the replacement back with him.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks Pcpete! I will give them a call. I've noticed a couple of 38xx have dropped the radar arch completely going with a hard top. If I had to do new canvas at the same time that would be a tempting job. If I can get the current arch to last another 5 years doing some sort of patch up I might go that way. However if the arch is bad enough that it won't last I'll want it repaired correctly and likely never convert to hard top. But if Boaters Discount has a good price I'll go that route. I bet there are some owners here who have undertaken that conversion to hardtop.
                      Tony Bacon,
                      Washougal, WA
                      Caspian, MMSI 338355743
                      1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

i am undecided on rebuilding or replacing the Arch with an aluminum one on my 3818. Fix pros and cons: Pro, I like the look of the stock arch, all wiring is hidden, i can fix the rotten wood at the base myself and save $1800 on a new arch. Cons, more time to repair, the canvas cover doesnt cover well where arch meets the top rail, and it will still be a water and termite trap. my only downside on the aluminum arch arch is the money and getting the wiring from the bridge into the tubing. hate the thought of drilling holes and having exposed wiring at the mounts. anyone have pix of theit aluminum tower installatiion?

Comment

Snika,
                          There are several clues to determining the health of your arch. Check for sagging of the cross section (the part your radar is attached to), lift the arch as you did when you verified the attach points are loose, remove the underside of the arch and you’ll be able to visually inspect the interior wood.
                          I rebuilt mine but it was a lot of work. If I had to do it again I’d seriously consider an pre fabricated aluminum arch.
                          Jim Gandee
                          1989 3888
                          Hino 175's
                          Fire Escape
                          [email protected]
                          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

I rebuilt our arch,I found it a very doable DIY and also fun to do.( lots of beer involved ) Two days to remove all interior wood (end core balsa) another day to sand it down,now your left with just a shell.I used score foam,fiberglass both mat,and roving,yellow ceder (screw edge) then Gelcoated,made "Starboard" panels to replace the foam covered ones.It did weigh a bit more when finished,...Personally I think the fiberglass arch looks better than the metal arch,anyway.... Good luck..Brad
                            Brad & Sharon
                            Lady Jake
                            1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                            Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

I removed my arch and replaced it with a hardtop from Atlantic Towers. Mounted my radar on the hardtop.
                              The hardtop is made to fit the 38xx perfectly.
                              Installed it myself with the help of three friends in one day
                              The hardtop has the slides built in to install new replacement Isinglass. It makes for a very comfortable upper nav station.
                              Allan
                              1986 - 3870
                              175 Hinos
                              Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Hi Allan, I have a hardtop from Atlantic Towers sitting in my backyard waiting for warmer weather to install. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X