32XX Custom cockpit carpet photos-gctid399712

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32XX Custom cockpit carpet photos-gctid399712

IÔÇÖve never seen photos of custom carpet in the cockpit of a 32 on the forum. That could be mainly because people who fish a lot wouldnÔÇÖt want it, but we donÔÇÖt and like the feel it creates.

Doing the perimeter edges in such a detailed way does not cost extra. The cost is simply based on the square footage required (this includes the full width of the carpet roll, of course, not your template). Given this we chose to limit the length of the carpet along the centerline at 6 feet, so weÔÇÖre missing following the transom curve by a few inches, but given the wastage caused by the cabinet/ladder storage locker we saved a few dollars. It's pretty much hidden by the wooden gaff holder as well. I was going to buy an expensive tool to install the snaps and believe it worth it if you will use it much, but ended up with the basic cheap setup used with a hammer. So far, so good. Be sure to buy stainless snaps which are also available in colors I believe from Perfect-Fit. If you upgrade the carpet weight, be sure to get the snaps with the longer pins to ease installation and avoid an overly compressed look.

In hindsight I would make sure I cut the main hatch covers a ┬╝ to 3/8 inch larger than the hatch. This makes sure you never have issues with the hatch catching on the cockpit floor carpet when closing. To remove the carpet to fish, you have to remove the hatch cover handle on each. Also, the cockpit floor carpet itself is somewhat difficult to roll given the it's relative thinness in areas.

This is a one-step upgrade in carpet material and cost is in the low $500 delivered to Seattle. For what itÔÇÖs worth, Dean

Dean,

So what all do you get for ~$500.

Did you send a template to the carpet supplier and they cut and bound the carpet and then you installed the snaps?

Chuck

1993-3288

Comment

Looks great. Definitely something I'd consider if we did not fish so much.
      Kelly & Mindy
      85 3270
      GetAway
      Petersburg, AK

Comment

chuck767 wrote:
        Dean,

So what all do you get for ~$500.

Did you send a template to the carpet supplier and they cut and bound the carpet and then you installed the snaps?

Chuck

1993-3288
        Yes, you send a template and it's required. The hatches on mine were slightly different. A lot, no, but some. They cut what you send and again charge no more than the square footage of carpet regardless of complexity. You buy your own snaps and install in the locations you think best. You can do a more minimalist appoach as well. I had thought of just getting the hatches covered.

For another example, here's a link to Nehalennia's which is the significantly more expensive weight carpet than what I purchased, and looks really great.

http://www.iboatnw.com/forum/showthr...cockpit+carpet

My boat had a rubber backed, thick carpet, which was aging and starting to leave black particles everywhere. This carpet was not the cheap indoor-outdoor carpet, but more of a commercial grade. When I found it or something similar, it was going to cost $300, so I didn't see the cost that much more. And you can do this about $80 cheaper than I did if you stick with the base weight carpet, but definitely have them send you samples to see the difference in thickness. In for a penny, in for a pound or something like that in my mind....

The #1 reason I did this was that I got sick and tired of moving everything to one side in order to open the hatches for engine inspection while underway or in order to get underway. Obviously those without carpet do not have that problem, and I'm sure this option isn't viable for most, but it works for us. For what it's worth, Dean

Comment

The #1 reason I did this was that I got sick and tired of moving everything to one side in order to open the hatches for engine inspection while underway or in order to get underway. Obviously those without carpet do not have that problem, and I'm sure this option isn't viable for most, but it works for us. For what it's worth, Dean[/QUOTE]

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Comment

That is a beautiful carpet job, I am envious. The one thing that keeps me from going this route is I don't have a hardtop so therefore still get water back there when I have to dump it off my rear canvas etc.

Comment

Dean,

Can you provide some contact information for the carpet.

Do you know their lead time to make the carpet?

What did you use for a template material?

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

chuck767 wrote:
                Dean,

Can you provide some contact information for the carpet.

Do you know their lead time to make the carpet?

What did you use for a template material?

Thanks,

Chuck
                Sure, just check the BOC Mall or the web for Corinthian Carpets. They sell a template kit with a partial (full?) discount when you order. It appears to be some sort of reinforced plastic sheeting.

BTW-I found their instructions confusing. When they say 'access slit' or the like, they mean if you have a hole in the center of a piece like for a table support pylon, they have to cut an 'access slit' to the hole from the perimeter in order to bind it. Doesn't matter here, but does if you do a salon.

I simply used a heavy duty roll of construction paper. Doing that allowed me to take a couple shots at it and you can simply tape in a new piece for an area in which you make a mistake (which I did around the aft drains, deciding after the fact to parallel their shape more for the final product). Also, given the weakness of the template if you fully cutout the hatches, they said not to cut them out but fully mark the corners. So I actually only cut the corners with an x-acto knife and left it intact. As I said, if I could do it again I would make the hatch pieces a bit larger than actual to avoid catching when closing.

They suggest minimum folding (I only folded the 'tab' that forms the entrance into the salon) of the template, so I rolled it and shipped it in a piece of yard drain PVC. Their lead time was two weeks, and I believe they manufacturer on both coasts. Again, suggest you do request samples as the material thickness does vary. Good luck, Dean

Comment

Thanks Dean, appreciate all the info.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                  X