Couple Recent Pics from SE AK-gctid399671

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple Recent Pics from SE AK-gctid399671

Thought I'd share a few pics from the Icy Strait area. Lots of whales lately and even a few halibut. The in laws are visiting from Florida so we're making sure they get some time out on the water.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703359=29645-Poppy halibut.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703359=29646-P7080065.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703359=29647-P7080068.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703359=29648-P7080074.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703359=29649-P7080076.jpg[/img]
    Kelly & Mindy
    85 3270
    GetAway
    Petersburg, AK

Looks a lot like mine...

But I caught salmon...

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703409=29652-IMG_0109.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703409=29653-IMG_0110.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703409=29654-IMG_0111.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703409=29655-IMG_0112.JPG[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703409=29656-IMG_0129.JPG[/img]
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Nice pics guys that is some amazing scenery.

Comment

SE AK is really amazing. Great pics Doug. If anyone ever stops in Hoonah give me a shout. There's a story that goes along with the halibut in the pics.

My father in law caught that fish. He's been visiting Alaska for 20 years, beginning in the early 90's when my wife and I moved to southcentral. We've been in SE just under a year. We fished charters during each visit, but he's only managed to catch a few chickens and lots of skates. We fished yesterday in Icy Strait. We caught several halibut up to about 30 lbs a few cod and some other bottom fish. As soon as my father in law hooked up with this one I knew this fish was better. As the fight progressed a sea lion came over and I thought he was going to take the fish. As the fish approached the surface the sea lion swam up to it and I thought for sure the fish was going to be lost. The sea lion just took a quick look and then swam away. The next ordeal was getting the fish under control. I borrowed an old harpoon for the trip, as none were on hand at any of our stores. The harpoon was in pretty rough condition and the shaft broke before I could stick the fish. So we managed to get the fish back up and I was able to harpoon it with what was left of the shaft. We finally landed the fish and my father in law was a happy camper. It was a nice fish and the largest he has ever landed. No scales, but the fish was in the 100 lb range. During the fight the fish tangled with my two other lines that also had fish. The other two did not realize they had fish until the bigger fish was landed. We also landed those fish. Overall a great day on the water and we had an awesome time catching halibut and watching whales.

Kelly
        Kelly & Mindy
        85 3270
        GetAway
        Petersburg, AK

Comment

Good pictures, nice report! If you measured the length there are charts available on line that will convert it to a weight very close to what you would have got from a scale.

Comment

Great PICS!

Stunning scenery!! But you could skip the fish pics! (kidding)

Comment

Headed back out this morning. Weather is looking great so we have to take advantage of these days. I'll post some more pics if we're able to get some good ones.

Wayne - I have the charts, but I've seen some pretty good fluctuations in weight from the published figures. The fish was 56.5" which shows 90lbs on the chart.

Hope everyone is having an awesome weekend.

Kelly
              Kelly & Mindy
              85 3270
              GetAway
              Petersburg, AK

Comment

I went through Icey Straight some years ago when I was bringing up my 38. I remember all the whales. Didn't do any fishing.

Thanks for the pics

Comment

Working...
                X