Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 4550 bathtub question- this time drain plug/stopper-gctid399558

Lots of bathtub questions lately so I will throw mine into the mix. :arr

Our 4550 did not have any drain plug stoppers for the master bath when we bought her. No biggie I thought- go to local home store and buy one of the stock ones. That was a good idea til I got back and realized the home style ones rely on being able to have a recessed area in the drain before you get to the grate in the drain fitting that would allow you to essentially have the drain plug/stopper act like a cork to seal things up. Well- then I realized the drain fittings for the 4550 bathtubs are flush and there is no way to stick a stopper down into it. I tried getting the flat disc type stoppers you see at the grocery store home isle but those did not do anything at all.

I wanna take a nice bath with relaxing music and a glass of wine. what the heck do you do for a stopper/plug on the bathtub drains.
    ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

I never had a need for a plug. Just start filling the tub. I've never looked at why, but I have always assumed the pump stop the flow of water.

Comment

pizze1 wrote:
      I never had a need for a plug. Just start filling the tub. I've never looked at why, but I have always assumed the pump stop the flow of water.
      We have to use a plug because we replaced the original pump with one that automatically starts pumping once water goes down the drain. We found our plug at an old style, funky mom and pop hardware store here--they also happened to have some baking sheets that fit our oven perfectly so it was a good shopping day for obscure items. Good luck on the plug hunt, Tony. There's nothing like a nice long soak in the bathtub of a boat.

On the topic of bathtubs, the slope of ours is obviously a little off because water pools at the far end of the tub away from the drain (we work around it by using a squeegee). Has anyone else had this problem and is there an easy fix?

Comment

Sounds like your boat, like ours, is heavy on the port side, I try to balance with fuel, keep a little more on starboard side.

I'd try an RV store for a drain plug.

Comment

Ducksoup,

Does your tub have one drain or 2? Our 1987 has 2 drains...one right below the tub faucet/fixture and then one at the far end under the porthole there, both draining to the automatic sump pump.

Sounds like what I REALLY need to do is finagle an invite over to your 45 at Holiday and while visiting with you, be sure and distract you and send one of the kids down to "borrow" your bathtub drain plug...problem solved, at least for us. :arr

I guess worse case scenario there is always duct tape, eh? Somehow I doubt my wife will find that a viable solution to the problem.
          ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Comment

I've got it.....After a bath, it gives you an excuse to go for a cruise. That will allow the water to go from the front of the tub to the back....fixed! No squeegee needed.

Comment

Working...
            X