WIFI antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIFI antenna

Anybody heard of this or familiar with it "RedPort Halo Long Range WiFI Extender
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 12-17-2018, 09:43 AM.

No but contact RadioLabs.com Tjey are the best in the business.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Not that brand, but I have Rogue Wave. Wavewifi.com

Machog
      1996 4087 Lazy Days
      2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
      2011 Porsche Cayman
      2010 Lexus IS 250C
      2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

I am very happy with the Wirie AP on my boat. It sets up its own mobile hotspot. The only wiring required is power. They also make a version with WiFi plus 2G/3G/4G/LTE.

http://www.thewirie.com/
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

There are many alternatives very similar to this unit. What this unit really is is a WiFi repeater with a 9db antenna attached to it. They can be made yourself for less than $100 or there are kits available. They don't list the cost -- if it's $250 or less it's a good deal. Slap the word "marine" on it and the price tag usually hits $500 or more.

Many of the solutions out there are built using the Ubiquity Bullet and the appropriate sized antenna (the Wirie as an example). Personally, I use a $35 box I purchased off Amazon that runs an open source software program called OpenWRT and it pulls in/repeats WiFi when I need it.

I'm in the IT business and while I'm not an engineer I have lots of background with wireless and WiFi. As soon as I read claims of being able to pick up WiFi signals from 7 miles away my BS meter pegs to 100%. Is it possible? Sure. Will it be common or even likely? No chance. WiFi is not designed to be a long range technology, it's designed to cover a distance of a few hundred feet, will often work to a few hundred meters. rant>
          Terry
          1999 Bayliner 3388
          Twin Cummins 4BTA
          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

So not to start anything TenMile but I have the rogue wave pro and I can pick up and HOLD my marina from 5.5 miles away and still stream movies without any buffering. So yes, WIFI can go further than most people think. Also, just FYI I am a communications engineer with Raytheon for 28 years now so don't believe everything you read in books. What you think is not possible, Just MAY BE POSSIBLE.

Comment

billfnh,

What do you recommend in order to get a solid wi-fi signal? My marina has a metal roof and the signal only serves the guest doc, which is not covered. I end up using my phone's HotSpot, which works but I'm game to learn a better way.

Thanks in advance.
              David and Beth
              Seattle Area - Berthed in La Conner

1986 Bayliner 3870 "Hokey Pokey"

1995 SeaRay 20 Signature "Flapdoodle"
              1993 Bayliner 3058 "SeaYa"

Comment

"billfnh" post=823838 wrote:
                So not to start anything TenMile but I have the rogue wave pro and I can pick up and HOLD my marina from 5.5 miles away and still stream movies without any buffering. So yes, WIFI can go further than most people think. Also, just FYI I am a communications engineer with Raytheon for 28 years now so don't believe everything you read in books. What you think is not possible, Just MAY BE POSSIBLE.
                I think I need to buy stock in something because the only way to achieve that distance is microwave. Otherwise you have some sort of revolutionary technology on your hands, or your marina has the worlds most powerful wifi. Standard wifi is 300 feet outdoors, max. No disrespect intended Captain.

Comment

"Snika" post=823851 wrote:
                  billfnh,

What do you recommend in order to get a solid wi-fi signal? My marina has a metal roof and the signal only serves the guest doc, which is not covered. I end up using my phone's HotSpot, which works but I'm game to learn a better way.

Thanks in advance.
                  My marina WiFi signal is very weak and it is pretty much unusable if I connect directly with a phone, tablet, or laptop. The Wirie that I mentioned in my earlier post makes it possible to receive the marina WiFi strongly and connect any of my devices with no issues.

Incidentally, I've never tried to see what is the max distance I can get a WiFi signal. I have anchored 0.4 miles from a marina and been able to receive their signal strongly.
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

"TenMile" post=823836 wrote:
                    T.. Personally, I use a $35 box I purchased off Amazon that runs an open source software program called OpenWRT and it pulls in/repeats WiFi when I need it.

rant>
                    TenMile, as a long-time linux user (Ubuntu), I'd be most interested in more specifics about the name/brand of the $35 box that you used. As you are no doubt aware, there are many devices that claim to support OpenWRT, many with very problematic issues. Thanks.
                    1986 Capri 1950 Cuddy
                    AQ131A / 275
                    (original owner)

Comment

The marinas in my area have an antenna for their WIFI routers on the roof to allow for the dock to receive WIFI signals. With my Rogue Wave hooked to my router on my boat I receive WIFI from any of the marinas from Amesbury to Newburyport. Some marinas have no key so I can connect to any of those but I like to stay connected to my marina even when far away from it (3-5 miles away) but still have the option of connecting to others somewhere else. No grated the testing I have done at long distances were not during rainstorms or bad weather but on a normal day being out on the end of my dock (which is much more than 300 feet away) I have solid WIFI. I would recommend the Rogue Wave Pro with the stainless antenna. It works awesome for me and I have recommended it to several dock mates at my marina and they love it.

Comment

"djhinca" post=823863 wrote:
                        "TenMile" post=823836 wrote:
                        T.. Personally, I use a $35 box I purchased off Amazon that runs an open source software program called OpenWRT and it pulls in/repeats WiFi when I need it.

rant>
                        TenMile, as a long-time linux user (Ubuntu), I'd be most interested in more specifics about the name/brand of the $35 box that you used. As you are no doubt aware, there are many devices that claim to support OpenWRT, many with very problematic issues. Thanks.
                        I've been using this little guy: https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AR...ywords=openwrt

It can be a bridge/repeater, standalone AP or can tether to your mobile phone via USB and use your LTE.
                        Terry
                        1999 Bayliner 3388
                        Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

There is a major challenge when it comes to using repeaters with Marina WiFi networks.

Most WiFi repeaters connect to the marina WiFi network at using the 2.5Ghz band on one channel and then repeat the signal in your boat on a different channel using the same 2.5Ghz frequency. Repeaters usually have a much stronger transmitter/receiver than your laptop or smartphone. As you add more repeaters in the marina they end up cluttering up the airwaves.

Think of it like an open VHF channel (for example 66a used to hail local marinas). The "best practice" is to call your marina on 66a on "low power" when you're close, have your quick conversation and then get off the channel so others can use it. If you're in a busy area with lots of marinas all using 66a, you may have to wait several minutes before you can call your marina, and it's highly likely that someone else will step on your call while you're waiting for a response or in mid-discussion. Now, add in "that guy" who leaves his VHF on "high power" with his high gain antenna at the top of his mast (damn sailboats). He will step on every conversation for several miles in his line of site and disrupt communications across that channel for everyone.

WiFi repeaters more or less turn you into "that guy". They transmit at higher power than the typical laptop and nail up a connection full time (your mobile/laptop essentially turns its radio on when needed and off when not needed in order to save battery life). Add in an extreme high gain 9db antenna and the radio is literally screaming across the channel. If there is only 1 repeater at a marina, the problem is negligible , but the more repeaters you add, the more amplified noise you add to the limited WiFi spectrum and it can kill WiFi for everyone. Get into a marina with a poorly designed WiFi network with a bunch of boat owners who have purchased repeaters and the experience will be crappy for everyone. Not to suggest getting a repeater is bad (hey, if you're the only one it won't really matter) just go in with eyes open.

Ideally, what you want is a marina with multiple controller-based AP's spread out along the docks. The controller manages the radio frequencies, switches AP transmit channels, and helps devices connect to the device with the best signal. I had our marina purchase a Meraki-based network with a mix of Indoor and Outdoor AP's so as you move across the facility (in and out) your device roams. Works great for everyone.
                          Terry
                          1999 Bayliner 3388
                          Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

"TenMile" post=823891 wrote:

Ideally, what you want is a marina with multiple controller-based AP's spread out along the docks. The controller manages the radio frequencies, switches AP transmit channels, and helps devices connect to the device with the best signal. I had our marina purchase a Meraki-based network with a mix of Indoor and Outdoor AP's so as you move across the facility (in and out) your device roams. Works great for everyone.
                            This is similar to what we will be setting up at our marina. Once it is in place I will turn off my WiFi repeater and will no longer be "that guy."
                            Anacortes, WA

Comment

I've been using Alpha Networks Camp-pro WIFI for 5 months. I paid CAN$173, the price has gone up a little. I'll find out how waterproof it is over the winter. So far it's been a great deal.

https://www.amazon.ca/Alfa-Networks-...=Wifi+camp+pro
                              1988 3218
                              Triple “O"
                              Hino diesels

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

Working...
                              X