Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SoCal to the Caribbean

Crew,

My buddy and I are in the initial planning phase of cruising his Bayliner 5788 from SoCal to Florida via the Caribbean chain beginning November 2018. So many questions! Has anyone here ever done it?

Route- obviously south past Baja Ca. Then along the mainland Mexico coast south to the canal. After the canal the question then becomes North to Cancun east to Cuba and on into the Bahamas. Or, after the canal head west along the north coast of S. America and into Aruba, Grenada and on up through the Caribbean island chain to Cuba then Fla.

Medical needs and prep. Shots?

How to clear customs in countries we plan to stop at, pass or decide to put into? Distance offshore?

Weapons?

Charting?

Weather/sea info and forecast?

Com- VHF, SSB, Sat phone, other?

Pirates?

Canal procedures?

There's so much to plan and prepare for. The above is just a start but hopefully will generate conversation and discussion.
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

You will miss the Superbowl.......
    Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
    New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
    GO HAWKS!

Comment

This sounds like a grand adventure Jim.

The admiral and I would like to do this very trip when we retire.

I am interested to hear how it goes, and what others may say that have done it.
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

No guns if you land in Mexico period. Bahamas and Cuba are OK but may be sealed while in Cuba.
        "Adios Dinero"
        1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
        Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Sounds amazing. I would love to do that trip too maybe from Seattle though. I think I will one day but finding the time is hard.

Is the boat equipped with air conditioning? I would think that would be a major consideration for me in the humidity and heat.

You should check out the YouTube video from flemming yachts. The title is alaska to Nova Scotia. It has some good detail on a big part of that trip including the Panama Canal and locking details. Seems easy enough. It's an amazing watch.

Look forward to hearing about the plan as it unfolds.
          BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
          5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
          Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Here is a link to the Tony Fleming video mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZr8ebckJPI&t=7s

Comment

Look for Passagemaker Magazine Back Issues. Over the years I've read articles of at least a couple of boats that have done it. In one case at least it was done from the Caribbean to California.

There's one area that is supposed to be quite treacherous, with high winds and waves forming quickly. I forget the name of the area but it is the gulf that runs roughly from Santa Maria de Huatulco to Tapacula in Mexico. Apparently a lot of weather planning is required to cross at the right time.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thanks for all of the info thus far!

Norton, I think you're referring to the Gulf of Tehauntepec. Will look into that. I've been in 10 footers between Ensenada and Cedros Island but fortunately that was a following sea so not so bad.

Creek, thanks for the vid link!

Simbad, the boat is actually in Portland so I suppose that's the official starting point. And yes, the boat has three A/C units on board!

Gary, been in Mexico, no one searched the boat. We'd feel a whole lot better if we had some protection. Jury's still out.

Canoel, need to look into internet connection to maintain a blog or at the very least keep the BOC updated with progress reports!

Luxury, the Super Bowl commercials are over rated! .
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]
                Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

"Jim Gandee" post=823220 wrote:

Norton, I think you're referring to the Gulf of Tehauntepec. Will look into that. I've been in 10 footers between Ensenada and Cedros Island but fortunately that was a following sea so not so bad.
                  That's it! http://www.boatus.com/cruising/feelf...e.asp?bid=3398
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

Regarding firearms in Mexico: Don't do it! If the authorities find firearms or ammunition on your boat or your person. you will spend far more time in jail than you might imagine. You are presumed guilty without a trial, although you may be tried with an inevitable guilty verdict. You will also likely lose your boat.

Have I convinced you yet?
                    Dick
                    Cheers
                    Oceanside
                    1987 3218 w/ 150 Hinos

Comment

"Jim Gandee" post=823220 wrote:
                      Thanks for all of the info thus far!

Norton, I think you're referring to the Gulf of Tehauntepec. Will look into that. I've been in 10 footers between Ensenada and Cedros Island but fortunately that was a following sea so not so bad
                      The offshore winds in this area that roar down from the mountains are known as Tehauntepeckers
                      Mike
                      "Allante I" Rayburn 75
                      Previous: '97 4788

Comment

The offshore winds in this area that roar down from the mountains are known as Tehauntepeckers
                        Researched those winds and the cause. Will be on the look out in that area. Many suggest a close shore routing to remain in protected waters. The blow boaters seem to be the most affected transiting this area.
                        Jim Gandee
                        1989 3888
                        Hino 175's
                        Fire Escape
                        [email protected]
                        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

"Jim Gandee" post=823325 wrote:

Researched those winds and the cause. Will be on the look out in that area. Many suggest a close shore routing to remain in protected waters. The blow boaters seem to be the most affected transiting this area.
                          Did a delivery of a 43' Morgan from Panama to Hawaii in 1997. Though you are going the other way, I have first hand experience with the Force 10 Tehauntepec winds. Since we had sails to stabilize the boat while facing those winds and seas, it was passable. However, if we could have avoided it, we would have. I cannot imagine doing it in a motor vessel. The time of year will be an important factor.

Before we left, we met a 55' sailboat anchored in Balboa that had made the pass a few times. They said, "If https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaga...r /> Papagayos is blowing, Tehauntepecers - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehuan...e Tehuano wind - will be treacherous." Our passage was in mid November, and they were right. 35-40' seas, and a ESE to SSE wind in the 50's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaga...pagayo_Jet.png
                          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                          MMSI: 367637220
                          HAM: KE7TTR
                          TDI tech diver
                          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                          Kevin

Comment

As someone who knows a thing or two about firearms I would NOT bring any weapon of any kind into Mexico. There's a lot of problems now in Mexico between the gangs and the issues at some of the major resorts. IF searched and you should always plan for the worst and hope for the best but if found you'd be hoping for an awful lot!

Are there any other weapons that could be considered non lethal like a spear gun? As long as you have dive gear on the boat then the spear gun would be fitting.

Sounds like one heck of a trip though and hopefully you're able to either blog about it to keep us posted here. Seems like all the fun places have treacherous passages to get through before the fun (Gulf of Alaska, Queen Charlotte Sound, this windy place you're talking about etc. etc...). Having that boat in the Caribbean would be super fun though! I don't think I'd try that voyage in my ole' 4788 so I'll live vicariously through you.
                            Family Boater
                            1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
                            (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Personally I would rather just pay a Mexican cop some cash if need be than be caught in a situation without a firearm. Also, I suggest buying some fuel bladders. Going through customs everytime you want to fill up would be a major hassle.

Comment

Working...
                              X