4788 Fresh Water Pump Question-gctid823082

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Fresh Water Pump Question-gctid823082

I recently replaced the fresh water pump with another fresh water pump which is a 10 amp pump. Now when I use the shower within the first 15 or 20 seconds that pump trips the freshwater breaker up in the panel near the helm. Is it possible to change the breaker to a larger breaker amperage at the DC panel? Or should I approach the problem from a different way?

Your breaker is matched to the wire gauge so upping the breaker creates an overheated wire risk. The pump you replaced was likely closer to 2.5 amps than 10. If you want to keep 10, you might have to re-wire from the pump to the breaker panel. Have you noticed any benefit to using the bigger pump?
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

http://m.northerntool.com/products/s...rce=Google_PLA

This was the pump that I bought. Came highly recommended from a boat neighbor of mine. Has a higher GPH than a couple of the others. But definitely blowing that breaker every time I use it for any kind of extended period of time... like for a shower.

Comment

You might want to go with the smaller pump. The average home shower is ~2.5 gal a min. My boat shower is just under 2. Your pump puts out just over 5 gal per min, enough flow for two showers.

If you decide for the bigger breaker, you'll need to pull heavier wire. At 12 volts and the current, the undersized wire will eat up additional current. You may find the larger wire solves your problem without a breaker change.

But do a quick check on the connections. Are they solid with a good crimp? A bad connection, with a heavy load may put the breaker over the line.
        Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

Before you get unhappy about pulling bigger wire (which is pretty easy from the panel to the pump btw) look at the size of the breaker that is tripping. It could be stock and it could be something someone put there in the past (such as if a breaker failed)

The wire going to the pump is 12 AWG I believe from memory. If that is the case you can safely go up to a 20 amp breaker.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

The specs on that pump shows that the pressure switch is set to 75-85 psi. This is much higher than most boat and RV pumps. I would be concerned about the longevity of the plumbing system at that pressure.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=823527 wrote:
              The specs on that pump shows that the pressure switch is set to 75-85 psi. This is much higher than most boat and TV pumps. I would be concerned about the longevity of the plumbing system at that pressure.
              That is some serious pressure!!! I agree completely!

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY
              SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Here's a good reference page, along with a wire size chart. The chart can be used to determine if the existing wire is adequate for the load.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

Also, depending on the total wire length [round trip], you may have excessive voltage drop. That will reduce pump performance and may effect longevity.

Comment

Working...
                  X