87 4550 Headliner Cleaning/Replacement-gctid399318

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 4550 Headliner Cleaning/Replacement-gctid399318

Has anyone cleaned or replaced the headliner in a 87 4550 Pilothouse? Mine is a little sooty from an electrical fire in the 115V Control Panel and the insurance company has allotted funds to have it "professionally cleaned". My only experience with a cloth/material headliner like that on the 4550, was on a 36' Uniflite. When I (not a Professional) tried to clean it all I did was get a bunch of black swirls that looked worse than the dingy grey it was before I tried cleaning it. In the end, I replaced the headliner cloth/material with white FRP and teak strips - much like the galley headliner is in the 4550. Am thinking of doing the same type of replacement on the 4550 unless someone has had a good experience with having their headliner "professionally cleaned."

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darby

I had Serv Pro come out and look at it and he told me that since it is a vinyl and the soot is petroleum based it is very hard if not impossible to get the soot out of the headliner.

How long of FRP can you get will they span the beam? If so where?

Comment

I used the cream colored bathroom FRP in my 3870 salon with teak battens (strips), it looks very nice and easy to clean and brightens up the area.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Nelie59

That was my feeling - impossible to clean properly.

The last time I used FRP was several years ago and I got it at a local building supply store (Spenard Builders Supply). It came in 4' X 8' sheets in white or off white. 8' was justt right for the Uniflite but I don't think it will span the width of the 4559 Salon. Therefore, I would expect to use a teak strip down the center (bow to stern) for looks. Will give it more thought and planning when I go to the boat next.

Thanks for the help and advice Nelie59 and boatworkfl

Darby

Comment

rrdarby wrote:
          Nelie59

That was my feeling - impossible to clean properly.

The last time I used FRP was several years ago and I got it at a local building supply store (Spenard Builders Supply). It came in 4' X 8' sheets in white or off white. 8' was justt right for the Uniflite but I don't think it will span the width of the 4559 Salon. Therefore, I would expect to use a teak strip down the center (bow to stern) for looks. Will give it more thought and planning when I go to the boat next.

Thanks for the help and advice Nelie59 and boatworkfl

Darby
          I will take a photo of how I did mine on my 3870, 4x8 is all that is available, use the cream colored in the salon not white, white in the head is OK, the teak strips actually enhances the look, stagger the seams, this method brightens up the salon, it has a pleasent look.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Darby, in April I started a thread on headliners for my 4550. You may want to look at the link, its posted below!

BoatworkFL also posted a picture of his salon with the FRP and it looks really good! I plan on doing the same in the salon some day soon.

I was lucky to find that Rod (up the creek) had a roll of the original headliner. He only had enough for me to do the pilothouse(thank God)!

It took me 2 days and i really cant imagine doing the salon the same way, IF i can find any material i think would look good or breath some. I did find a few that may work and they were at an auto upholstery shop that does headliners in cars.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...ight=headliner

Good luck

Comment

I had a mildew stain where a leak use to be on the ceiling/side in the office area. I use amonia and a damp rag. It did not leave a stain and cleaned up nicely. You might try that. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X