Wimpy Horn 1999 4087-gctid822212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wimpy Horn 1999 4087-gctid822212

Hey, Capn.marks and I just got a 4087 a few months ago and the horn is brutally wimpy! Anyone else have that issue and maybe any suggestions? Clearly there's power but the embarrassing sound that comes out of that horn speaker is none like I've heard before! 'beep beep' (not even worthy of capitalization! Help anyone? Thanx in advance! Laurel

Check your connections. I assume you have dual trumpet horns. Spiders will get in there so may also need to disassemble and clean them out. This thread may help:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...nt-work#819148
    "Martini's Law"
    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

We had the same problem. Turns out that the sound it produced was driven by the charge/voltage available to the horn. When at full charge the sound is real. When running on one battery that is somewhat discharged it sounded like what yours might. I do believe they are adjustable too. I let the experts chime in. Good luck.

PS Before my findings, the wife and kids bought be a gift certificate to West Marine for the purpose of replacing my "little horn."
      1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
      1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
      1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
      Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
      South Bay Marina

Comment

Had the same issue on my 3870. I replaced the factory horns with Ongaro dual trumpet deluxe horns. The factory wiring was too small of a gauge to power the new horns so had to change to # 12awg wire. Now it sounds like a freighter!

Great addition to the boat-
        Gibraltar, Mi.
        1986- 3870- Hino 175's
        1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
        14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I replaced the totally wimpy horn in my 3788 with dual air horns. They work great.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

I would first clean and check your wiring to the horns and put a meter on them to see how much juice they are getting, This is what happened to mine also, not enough Voltage

Comment

One other trick to use; I learned this from a an old fishing boat captain. Open up the back of the trumpet(s). There is a small, circular rubber diaphragm there that vibrates and causes the horn to sound. These diaphragms get hard over time and sometimes they can be rejuvenated with some WD 40. I brought a horn back to life on a Carver I sold once.

Frank
              "Safe Boating is No Accident"
              Everett Sail and Power Squadron

Comment

We had a similar wimpy horn sound and originally thought the horn had water in it, but problem remained after cleaning the diaphragms. Found the problem was a pinched air tube a few inches from the pump, caused by the weight of a tubing loop that was pulling down over the years.
                1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
                12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
                Pacific NW

Comment

Working...
                X