alignment of 250 hp hino engines in 4588 bayliner-gctid822096

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alignment of 250 hp hino engines in 4588 bayliner-gctid822096

I would like to align the twin 250 hp hino engines and prop shafts on my 4588 boat, anyone with specifics I would appreciate information

You will have much more luck getting answers if you post this in the motor yacht forum. Good luck
    Capt. Ron.
    "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
    "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
    1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
    Hino EH700
    Westerbeke 8.0
    1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
    on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

Welcome aboard. I have moved the thread to Motoryachts for better exposure.

Cheers
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

There are several levels of alignment. The most basic is the gap at the transmission coupler. There are several YouTube videos about how to do it but basically you are looking for an even spacing between the plates when butted together and the bolt holes align from side to side. Not to be presumptuous, but if it were me asking the question, and this is my personal plan, I'd hire a very knowledgeable person to do it and show me at the same time. The last time I did it was in '68 to a 27' Fairliner so I might be a bit rusty. The second, most definitive alignment is laser. This is done by placing a projector in the cutlass bearing and centering on the center of the transmission output shaft. Then the coupler alignment follows.

Sorry I can't be of much help. Maybe Smitty477 or Earl International can offer up some closer advise.

Edit: later last night I read about the procedure in a book named "Boatowners Mechanical and Electical Manual" by Nigel Calder. I recently purchased the book on the advice of my Marine Electrician to help me chase down a less than 100mA ground fault but am finding the book is much more than I purchased it for. It has a detailed description of how to align the engine and shaft as well as common situations that need to be dealt with. I bought it on Amazon for about ten bucks plus shipping. If you would like, pm me and we can set up a phone call and I can go through it with you.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
        X