Hey what the norm when refueling a 4788?-gctid822031

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey what the norm when refueling a 4788?-gctid822031

Do you just fill one side with fuel. And adjust fuel lines to allow the other tank to be fed from the one your filling.
    jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos

We fill on both sides. Sice we have a 750 # dingy, unless we need full tanks, usually fill port tank less than stbd tank. Would not recommend pumping fuel from tank to tank. Too easy to overflow a tank and pump diesel out the vent. Ww usually fill both tanks without moving boat tied to stbd side. To fill port tank without standing on your head, I run the hose thru galley, and bar front windows.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Fill one tank at a time. Never cross feed and you'll never have to worry about cross contamination.

Been there done that...
      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

We usually tie up on the starboard side, fuel and pump out on that side, then run the diesel hose through the pilothouse. Filling the port side is kind of awkward, you have to crouch while filling the tank. It gets old pretty fast. Still, we don't have to fill it that often.

Comment

When I first got our trawler, I filled it a couple of times from only starboard side. It was convenient as I have a 2" cross-over off of the bottom of both tanks. Those sorts of cross-over drains are no longer legal in manufacturing boats, but I soon realized the error in my ways. Each time I would open those valves the fuel levels would equalize... hauling crap that had settled in the tanks up and into the other.

Live and learn, but keep them as separate systems if at all possible. Those valves stay closed at all times now.

iBoatNW

Comment

We tie on the Starboard. We run the hose through the window, across the bar sink and through the galley to fill the port easily through the window. I do the portside first before the nozzle gets wet, grab it with an adsorb cloth, invert it and pass it back through when done to next fill the starboard. We open both forward salon windows completely, it's nice to have a helper feed the hose through. The hose never touches the floor and we never spill a drop. Very easy
            Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

We've done both - thru the pilothouse to the other side, and thru the salon windows to the other side. If your blinds are in place, the salon windows can be a pain.

I do know someone that filled one side and used a crossover pump to transfer to the other side.

He forgot about it, went to dinner and came back to a rather large fuel spill from the overflow vent.

He was talking to local and state authorities last I saw - not pretty.
              Pat
              Paragon
              1999 4788

Comment

We fill starboard side first and then run the hose around the forward deck to fill the port side. It's usually pretty hot and humid on the Texas gulf coast and we usually have the generator and AC running so not possible to run the hose through the salon windows. Although I like that idea and will use it once we relocate to a cooler climate.
                Evan
                2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
                League City, TX

Comment

My norm is quite different. As my marina doesn't have diesel, I get the trucking company that fills our excavators to fill Nooma up at the launch ramp. As their hose can be quite dirty from dragging thru jobsites, I fill one side then flip the boat around for the other tank. Bonus is price a lot better than any marina. But wow, do we make sure not to spill a drop or this practice could end quickly. Ted

Comment

"cosmo777" post=822097 wrote:
                    I do know someone that filled one side and used a crossover pump to transfer to the other side.

He forgot about it, went to dinner and came back to a rather large fuel spill from the overflow vent.

He was talking to local and state authorities last I saw - not pretty.
                    Not a problem on mine. Just a 2" gravity feed. Not a great idea though.

iBoatNW

Comment

I fill through the salon. If I have the fishing tender tied to the port side I can stand on it to fill the port. It's a lot more comfortable than reaching through the galley window

Comment

Working...
                      X