Volvo KAMD 43P 230HP Opinions please-gctid399168

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo KAMD 43P 230HP Opinions please-gctid399168

Hello all, I don't usually post in the Motor Yatchts section of the club so first time for me here.

I am presently discussing the purchase 32ft twin diesel boat that has KAMD 43P - 230HP, aftercooled motors. I am some what familiar with diesel operation on land but a little green as far as marine application although I am mechanically handy and can accomplish a great deal with manuals. I would appreciate any discussion about these motors and what I should be concerned about. The motors have 950 hours mated with new hurth tranny's. Seller is stating the boat has a top GPS speed of 32mph @ 3800 rpm and a cruising speed of 22mph using 3.5 gph for 1 engine or 7 gph total both engines.

He has receipts for all items that have been replaced or maintained and will be providing a recent survey. The engine were installed 7 years ago new so circa 2005.

I am coming up for retirement and the plan is to keep the boat up at Haida Gwaii in the water 6-7 months and dry dock over winter at a friends place. (he has big truck, big trailer)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Volvo is a pretty solid diesel powerplant. It's more of a high speed diesel like a Yanmar, so longevity vs a Cummins, Hino, Detroit, etc., may be an issue you take into consideration. Volvos can be expensive when they break, too.

Even if you accept the seller's survey, have one performed by a surveyor that you hire. With regards to GPH, I question 22mph and 7 GPH for both engines- another thing to verify.

Comment

Thanks Pete.

Comment

Working...
      X