Hull Extention Project Update-gctid820265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hull Extention Project Update-gctid820265

So we are almost done (just waiting on a customer muffler for new Panda 15KW gen set). But here are few project pics for those interest.

The extention adds 54" to the stern. The compartment has built in 4 fiberglass tanks (2 outboard tanks are 125 gallons each diesel storage with pumps to transfer to main tanks & 2 inboard 80 gallon each at rest ballast tanks, the ballast tanks are to level the boat at rest and pump out prior to getting under way. First time in 22 years our boat is level!)

The center area has Bauer JR II Scuba compress and large open space to store our removable bait tank, and the top of ballast tanks are storage racks for 6 scuba tanks. NO TRIM TABS, instead we have interceptors and so far boat runs at a great angle, added 3 knots on our test runs and feels super solid in the water now. Will have better performace feedback after we get some trips and fun time in in the coming months.

There is 4 step pull out Armstrong dive ladder as well

Just sharing as this project took on whole life as we end up growing upgrading inventor, reduing our battery layout (new bus bars, shunt ext and wiring and battery switch panel as well to better maximize our solar, alternator, and inventer charging options (basiclly putting all our batteries in same area and separate runs to a common bus and charges to common bus vs to switch as it use to have)

We also change our exhaust to Underwater, with valued bi-pass (meaning we can open or close the bi-pass (originally built with out values but during sea trail we felt values address some exhaust coming out of bi-pass at slower speeds.

Happy share the experience for those thinking of upgrade some systems to modernize your boat or prepare for extended cruising as we are doing.

Attached files

Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

cool project. there is a picture: ...17100533AM.jpg

of the hull bottom. what is that thing?
    Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

"aspen1880" post=820340 wrote:
      cool project. there is a picture: ...17100533AM.jpg

of the hull bottom. what is that thing?
      Underwater exhaust port - actually looks like a Sea Ray item based upon on the Sea rays we cruised with.
      Northport NY

Comment

Wow, congrats - that is an amazing project!!

I am interested in the valved bypass for the underwater exhaust, can you explain how this will work and when you would use it?
        Mike
        "Allante I" Rayburn 75
        Previous: '97 4788

Comment

Great question....that is the underwater exhaust port. It creates a vortex of water that pulls out the exhaust and push behind the boat. In our case at even a slow no wake speed it come up about 20-25' behind us. So no odor or visual exhaust
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Orginal plan was simple small through on the side for the bi-pass to avoid the rumbling of the underwater exhaust when when docking, dropping anchor, p/u mooring ect, and normally once your ooat gets some speed the water vortex sucks out the exhaust and nothing comes out the bi-pass, well, in our case we were still getting exhaust gases coming out the bi-pass tubes which defeated the whole idea of u/w exhaust. So we cut the fiberglass tubes and inserted a Stainless Mechanical Value that is either open or closed. There is a rocker switch and indicator lights on my panel at the helm so I know if it is open or closed at all times. Basically you open when docking or anchoring moving at slow speeds to not have the big splash and rumble from all the exhaust gas/air the engines move, when under way we close them, forcing all exhaust u/w and get the benefits of that system. We choose a mechanical value as it inexpensive and only needs power to move it open or closed vs a solenoid type value that need power to be in the open position.
            Mark
            USCG OUPV
            1990 4588
            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Wow Mark this has been a serious project. Was it December when you kicked off?

Turning out really nice and no doubt the extension will enhance the whole cockpit .

Ian B)
              Ian & Emma
              MV "LaPaloma"
              1990 4588
              Bay of Islands
              New Zealand

Comment

Wow what a project. It looks amazing finished with the teak
                BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

And now I saw the other thread. Not teak but looks just like it. Love it.
                  BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                  5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                  Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Very cool! The PO of our boat had a hull extension and hard chines installed by north harbor diesel. I love all the storage and how the boat runs and feels. I have been considering adding 100 gal of fresh water storage in 2 50 gal tanks. I was thinking just getting some heavy duty plastic tanks and mounting them. I like the idea of built in. Do you have any pics of the finished install inside the extension? Did you decide to add ballast tanks so you can actively adjust trim?
                    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                    MV Kia Orana
                    Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

I will take some pics this weekend of the finished inside of the extension for you.
                      Mark
                      USCG OUPV
                      1990 4588
                      Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Please, please tell me the cost! I don't need the extra fuel capacity, but extra storage, better ride, more speed... yowza! So, how much was it???

Comment

Hard to put a number on it as we did so much (ie genset, u/w exhaust, ext. PM me if you are interested in more details....not really my style to toss out $$ as value is that of the owner.
                          Mark
                          USCG OUPV
                          1990 4588
                          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Here pictures that woodsea requested of the inside of the extension. Ballast tanks for at rest leveling of boat (ours and many lean to strb) but also incase we pull full unevenly from the two storage tanks. we dump the blast tank as we are leaving the dock and then fill when at anchor, mooring, or back at dock.

The Scuba Compressor is on a pull out shelf for air flow, so it is stored agaist bulk head and pulls out 14" for use. Pictures below show both position as it does effect the space. Scuba tanks are stored on top of the ballast tanks. We chose for the bait tank to remain removal for verstility as we do not fish all the time, so when not in use it fits in this space with plenty of room for a person or other stuff...we tend to bring way to stuff on our boat

Attached files

Mark
                            USCG OUPV
                            1990 4588
                            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Have you noticed any loss of slow speed maneuverability? Curious about the rudders having so much hull behind them now and the prop pockets did you continue the same curve as at the original transom. I love the space usage you decided on. Is the gen still in the original position?

Comment

Working...
                              X