HERKY JERKY STEERING-gctid820078

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HERKY JERKY STEERING-gctid820078

On my 38, my lower helm is very smonth. The upper helm is stiff and kinda' jerry.

The psi in the pump was at 15. The Web site says it should be between 40 and 45 so I pumped it up to 40. Is this OK and could the low psi pressure cause the stiff steering?

I've not started the boat yet until I get the OK from someone out there that knows about things of this nature

JV

"Johnny Vintage" post=820078 wrote:
    On my 38, my lower helm is very smonth. The upper helm is stiff and kinda' jerry.

The psi in the pump was at 15. The Web site says it should be between 40 and 45 so I pumped it up to 40. Is this OK and could the low psi pressure cause the stiff steering?

I've not started the boat yet until I get the OK from someone out there that knows about things of this nature

JV
    From the helm instructions....

50 psi - never exceed 50 psi as damage may occur

35-45 psi - for use when bleeding the system. Please add pressure very slowly so as not to exceed the 45 psi.

20-30 psi - system typical pressure when in use.

"ratchety" or uneven feel in the one hem only can be caused by many reasons:

- A 'pinched' oil line between that helm and the steering

- Contaminated fluid

- Air in fluid

- Seal and/or pump ball failures

- fluid too high viscosity

Have you tried bleeding the system yet? How did this come on/happen?
    Northport NY

Comment

My upper is not as smooth or free as my lower. I've flushed, replaced that very precious hydraulic oil, replaced seal and cleaned the balls and risers so that everything seems to move as good as it's gonna get. I have not gone into the stack of plats and seals for want of a better description and have seen no kits or instructions on that. It's still not perfect, but getting the buildup of crud on the steering shaft and our seal seemed to do the most. More to do another day.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Vintage, you need to perform the bleeding procedure. I posted in the other thread.

Comment

Working...
        X