Blower location 3870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blower location 3870

Need help locating the blower on my 1985 3870 I have a switch that lights a light but no sound.....but I have no idea where to look for the blower motor
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 04-05-2021, 08:38 AM.

They are under the vent baffles on the starboard side

I haven't figured out how to change them as you can see them but can't seem to get to them.

Terrible placement - mine have never worked - easy to be soaked with water.

You can see them from inside if you get on the starboard side of the starboard engine - like you do when you change the filter.
    Ron O'Blenis
    B 38 175 Hinos 1989
    Completed Great Loop
    https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine are also under the forward vent grill on the starboard side. If you remove the forward grill you can see both of them, and how they are mounted. They are accessible from beside the starboard engine, mine has a gap on the floor under the wet bar, it doesn't go right to the hull side. It would be a job to replace them though, I'd recommend removing the grill.

James
      1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
      Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
      Lowrance Electronics!
      Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
      Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
      AGLCA #8340
      MTOA# 7469

Comment

Ok I guess I'll take the grill off next Saturday. I'm guessing mine are froze they don't make a sound. I'll try to get a look by taking off the grill first I hope I don't have to get between the engine and the bulkhead. Thanks for responding

Comment

they are not easily accessible from inside the ER.. take the grill off from the outside and its right there.

Comment

Make sure they are getting power, not just a bad connection
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Any chance anyone has a replacement brand or other information. I have a gas 1989 3888. And they quit working..

Comment

I just bought two SEAFLO 4" in-Line Marine Bilge Air Blower 12V 270 CFM Quiet Boat White from Amazon. That’s the easy part. Now for the fun. They are located behind the vertical carpeted board outside of the helm. So....to get to them you need to remove the entertainment bar. The hardest to find screws are behind a plexiglass panel that looks like a mirror. If I didn’t have mine removed for new decking, (teak and holly plywood) I’d have figured out how to cut my way in from in the cabinet.
                The old units were held in place with very rusty angles, one blower did an unplanned dismount, so revised mounting is required. I’m going to take a chunk of the old carpeted board and make a mounting board for the new ones later this week. I believe you should have one blowing in and the other out.
                P/C Pete
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

I replaced mine by removing the starboard exterior engine room vent but I also needed to crawl into the engine room. You have to be a contortionist to access from the E.R.
                  Jim Gandee
                  1989 3888
                  Hino 175's
                  Fire Escape
                  [email protected]
                  Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Guys as always thank you for the guidance! I just had open heart surgery (6 weeks post opp) so I am not sure I need to be playing contortionist just yet. I was hoping pulling the forward vent I could do the project from there...sound a bit more involved.. Guess I will keep using my nose blower right now...

Comment

You can put new ones somewhere easier to access and reroute the vent tubing. Nose blower might shorten the heart warranty. Pay someone to make it safe.
                      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

What a Pain I had located mine and thought How in the Hell do you replace these ?? did anyone place in a different Spot ?

Comment

You could mount a couple in the engine room below the factory ones and let the air pass through the old blowers. Not ideal, but better than the nose.
                          P/C Pete
                          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Hopefully the water will be up this weekend and I can at least pull the vent and see what I am up against. Last week it was so low there was no way I could get to the vent. From the vent can you get to the wiring? that way I might not have to run new wiring to the lower helm or if I do need to run new wiring I can hopefully use the old wires to fish the new wiring through.

Comment

I’ll take a look at mine later today and get some more definitive pictures.
                              P/C Pete
                              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                              X