Repower 3270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repower 3270

As a result of a leaking fuel tank, I need to pull my motors. I run the Volvo Penta AQ 140A's. Please let me know if you may have experience or advice with a good economical replacement option. I dont care about speed on the explorer and truly enjoy the good fuel economy of the 4 bangers.

Thanks

Sean
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 05-12-2020, 08:21 AM.
    Santa Cruz CA
    1981 3270
    1991 2556

Hey Sean, question for you. I too have a 3270 running twin AQ140A engines. As of late, I've had big problems getting the engines to fire on a cold start, no problem once they're warmed up. Have you had any similar issues ?
    "MistyBlue"
    1982-3270
    "The man who insists on seeing with perfect clearness before he decides, never decides".

Comment

I have not had the same issue you mentioned except when running old, untreated fuel.
      Santa Cruz CA
      1981 3270
      1991 2556

Comment

If I were to repower today, it would be with Chevy 4.3 Vortecs. I hope that day never comes.

Comment

Mad Greek,

Those older engines have a manual or automatic choke? That would be where I would start(no pun intended).

Dean

Comment

I would look for a set of take out 130/150 Hinos, get the trannys also. If you could find a pair for 5G It mite be worth doing. you can buy 32XX Diesel boats for as little as 20G in Fl. PNW brings more like 40G for a real nice one.
            1988 3270
            135 hinos
            Seldovia ALASKA
            KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
            KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
            Marine canvas/Upholstery
            since 1975

Comment

That would be ideal !!!!!! wish I could find some
              Santa Cruz CA
              1981 3270
              1991 2556

Comment

Do the 4.3 Vortecs have the proper torque profile for that application?
                Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
                1989 2855
                Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

Dean...No chokes of any kind on the dual side draft carbs.
                  "MistyBlue"
                  1982-3270
                  "The man who insists on seeing with perfect clearness before he decides, never decides".

Comment

Working...
                  X