Pertronix Install-gctid818462

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pertronix Install-gctid818462

I've had them sitting around forever, finally got around to it yesterday. In a word, wow. Huge difference in starting, idle and punch off the line. Also like magic no more stalling at idle. I did the flamethrower coils, rotors and caps as well. Dead simple and inexpensive mod. Iceclimber recommends, get rid of those points.

Sounds like you are as happy with Pertronix as I was when I installed that kit years ago.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I did the electronic ignition conversion three weeks ago and it feels like I just bought a brand new boat.
      Dan
      Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
      Claudia V. III
      1988 - 3218
      Gas Drives

Comment

I remember swapping my dual points on my Ford 427s 20 years ago! Big difference indeed. Take care to keep a spare Pertronix onboard the vessel because if/when the electronics go bad like one of mine did - dropped off plane no restart. I had dual engines so I swapped when I returned to port and always kept a spare thereafter.
        MY 3988
        M/V MMPOWRD
        Poulsbo, WA

Comment

In case you monitor fuel usage, you may need to be reminded that the "flip side" of performance is efficiency.

You have an ignition system that now generates at least 50% more spark than the old one. With plug wires that are more performance oriented (spiral wound and fatter) and bullet proof plugs (i.e.. platinum) you may widen the gap at the plugs. Many mechanics go out at least two-thousandths wider. The spark jumping a wider gap means more exposure to the air/fuel mixture and a more complete burn. The improvement in fuel efficiency is measurable. Even better, you might consider a larger flame/spark arrestor.

Happy boating.

Comment

"Bay39" post=818482 wrote:
            I remember swapping my dual points on my Ford 427s 20 years ago! Big difference indeed. Take care to keep a spare Pertronix onboard the vessel because if/when the electronics go bad like one of mine did - dropped off plane no restart. I had dual engines so I swapped when I returned to port and always kept a spare thereafter.
            Good idea, I got the points out in one piece so I can always go back to the old stuff.

Comment

"mister larry" post=818490 wrote:
              In case you monitor fuel usage, you may need to be reminded that the "flip side" of performance is efficiency.

You have an ignition system that now generates at least 50% more spark than the old one. With plug wires that are more performance oriented (spiral wound and fatter) and bullet proof plugs (i.e.. platinum) you may widen the gap at the plugs. Many mechanics go out at least two-thousandths wider. The spark jumping a wider gap means more exposure to the air/fuel mixture and a more complete burn. The improvement in fuel efficiency is measurable. Even better, you might consider a larger flame/spark arrestor.

Happy boating.
              Thanks, I had a mechanic suggest the same. I think for this season I will be content, I mean the boat does 25 mph easily which is pretty impressive for a 87 3270. If I removed the 2 tons of personal gear I don't need I'd probably get more out of her. I'm not really a believer in what most mechanics say, considering their motivation. Physics says gas ignites and burns, no spark is going to somehow alter that fact. While yes, the greatest spark will occur across the greatest resistance, you get the exact same amount of energy from the gas. Plug wires work or they don't etc. If you have visibly cracked or otherwise worn wires, fine replace them, otherwise they are just telling the plug, time to spark. These are some mighty unsophisticated engines, but taking mechanical points out of the equation is certainly advisable.

Comment

Working...
              X