3888 Bridge Hydraulic Steering-gctid398816

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3888 Bridge Hydraulic Steering-gctid398816

I launched this past week for my 1st time in my 3888 and absolutly Loved it. mid way thru my voyage I had hydraulic fluid leak up at the bridge steering and lost steering control. Looking for a solution. Has anyone had a simialar situation and have a remedy?

I just had the seal at our upper helm station give way....hydraulic fluid leaking right at the steering wheel at upper helm. We had to take the wheel off and install a new seal and refill/bleed the hydraulic lines for the entire system. By "we" I mean the marina service folks. My involvement revolved only around me and my checkbook.
    ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Comment

Woodsong wrote:
      I just had the seal at our upper helm station give way....hydraulic fluid leaking right at the steering wheel at upper helm. We had to take the wheel off and install a new seal and refill/bleed the hydraulic lines for the entire system. By "we" I mean the marina service folks. My involvement revolved only around me and my checkbook.
      I have quickly learned the real meaning of the word BOAT, (Break Out Another Thousand) LOL.

Thanks

Comment

Bugaboo wrote:
        I have quickly learned the real meaning of the word BOAT, (Break Out Another Thousand) LOL.

Thanks
        The wife is sure we bought a boatt (bust out another ten thousand)

Comment

deman wrote:
          The wife is sure we bought a boatt (bust out another ten thousand)
          BOAT=

Bring ON Another Thousand

Comment

Bugaboo wrote:
            I launched this past week for my 1st time in my 3888 and absolutly Loved it. mid way thru my voyage I had hydraulic fluid leak up at the bridge steering and lost steering control. Looking for a solution. Has anyone had a simialar situation and have a remedy?
            Had a similar problem. You first need to determine if it is the helm or the hynautic lines on the back that are leaking. If it is the helm itself, Souther Charm will rebuild them for around 200.00. If it is the hynautic lines on the back side you can change the fittings and bleed yourself. There are also a detailed description on how to rebuild the helm if you are very careful with the seals. It must be kept clean clean clean. About 35.00 for a seal kit. Let us know what you figure out and search here for Hynautic H50 rebuild. Questions just ask. Did all mine about a month ago.
            Charles
            '89 3870 M/Y
            Located on Galveston Bay
            Prior boat '85 300SB Sea Ray
            Lost in Hurricane IKE

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:
              BOAT=

Bring ON Another Thousand
              Thanks God I have a MotorYacht not a BOAT
              1990, 3888 Motoryacht
              "Disco Volante"
              Marina Cervar - Croatia

Comment

Well, that's in US Dollars and seeing as you're in Europe it's even more in Euros! How the worm turns.....:hammer

Comment

PortHoleDiver wrote:
                  Had a similar problem. You first need to determine if it is the helm or the hynautic lines on the back that are leaking. If it is the helm itself, Souther Charm will rebuild them for around 200.00. If it is the hynautic lines on the back side you can change the fittings and bleed yourself. There are also a detailed description on how to rebuild the helm if you are very careful with the seals. It must be kept clean clean clean. About 35.00 for a seal kit. Let us know what you figure out and search here for Hynautic H50 rebuild. Questions just ask. Did all mine about a month ago.
                  Thanks for the different links here. Printed out the diagrams and ordered a seal kit. I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound in cure.

Comment

My steering went out completely at the flybridge helm, but no hydraulic fluid up top, only in the engine compartment? Anyone have an idea of where to start?

Comment

Hope you bought two seal kits. Ours went out on the flybridge and while waiting to get it fixed I noticed my lower seal went as well. Replaced them both and no more leaks.
                      Sean
                      Current: 1990 4588 Crimson Pride
                      Past: 1987 3870 Crimson Pride II
                      Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
                      MMSI: 338080226

Comment

"My steering went out completely at the flybridge helm, but no hydraulic fluid up top, only in the engine compartment? Anyone have an idea of where to start?"

A broken hose, a failed end fitting, if you have autopilot a leaking pump or actuator. Your leak is down where you see the fluid - the air in the system is rendering your upper station inoperable. Please do not use the boat until you know you have it fixed. Here is a link which will help refill the system , bleed and check it after you have fixed this leak and/or failure.

http://www.local1259iaff.org/hydraulichelmrebuild.html

Hope this helps
                        Northport NY

Comment

I have the same problem and just going out to pick up some dye marker to put in the tank on top

every year I have to top it up with 1/2 liter but this year it went dry and I'm going to find the leak sort of mission

Comment

http://cworthy.net/boat/documents/Hy...s%20Maunal.pdf

http://www.hypromarine.com/UserFiles...ne%20bleed.pdf

Problem with these systems - if they go dry all the seals go everywhere. On the bright side, the parts and rebuild services (if you don't want to do it) are out there. Don't be tempted to use ATF, but you can substitute the correct aircraft hydraulic fluid which is waaaay cheaper. My system has little leaks everywhere, it's just one of life's little annoyances.

Comment

"Sea Q" post=642688 wrote:
                              I have the same problem and just going out to pick up some dye marker to put in the tank on top

every year I have to top it up with 1/2 liter but this year it went dry and I'm going to find the leak sort of mission
                              Isn't your fluid red ? You might have the real Sea Star which is clear. Instead of sticking dye marker in your steering, may I recommend just using red hydraulic fluid. You are allowed to mix them,

Comment

Working...
                              X