instrument covers-gctid817617

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

instrument covers-gctid817617

I have a 1988 3218. On the bridge some of the plastic gage cover have become "frosted". I know replacements are hard to come by,. has anyone successfully restored these covers? If so what did you use? TNX Harry S

Hi Harry

. I did the ones on my 2655. They were hazed and crazed badly. I already had a MEGUIARS headlight restoration kit so once I got the clear lenses separated by slowly working my way around the tapered retainer portion with a thin narrow flat blade screwdriver. SLOWLY until I got a "feel" for how much I could go on the others. Then followed the kit instructions which finished with a polish and protective cream. Here's a different method that I used in my smoked acrylic cabin top hatch and entry door. I started with 600 grit and while wet sanding ONE DIRECTION per grit, following the next higher grit at 90 degrees in one back and forth motion alternating the 90 degrees each grit trying to go equal amounts/ times as well with the first couple of more coarse grits. I'd recommend placing the paper on a towel or similar with a fold or two and rub the lens across it. The "cushion" under the paper will help conform to the slightly curved lens face, preventing flat spotting. As you start to feel less resistance between the paper and lens, you'll want to increase time as you work your way up through the grits Use wet dry paper and step up through as high as you can find in grit # I think LOWES goes through 2200. Doesn't matter in they're not sequential as long as they cut finer. The wet part keeps the surface cool AND helps get rid of the dust so it doesn't begin to clog the paper. there are no real short cuts and slow and steady wins when wet sanding. You'll start to see the haze change to clear shine when you dry the lenses to inspect between the higher grits. Once you have finished with the highest grit (I wouldn't call it done until I'd gone through AT LEAST 2000/ 2200 grit) , it's time for compounding and polishing either by hand, with a jitterbug sander of something you attach in a drill. I used Turtle green squeeze bottle rubbing compound followed by their black squeeze bottle of polish. Beyond that some will go a step further and use (what I'm sure is a quite varied list) something to seal their final product. I didn't. There are probably as many variances of the basic techniques as there are folks to ask. I've even heard from different folks at different times that you can accomplish the same longer lasting results with bug spray! It has to be a certain kind though. And don't take the above right to heart and start sanding. Spend a little time on "YouTube University" as I call it when I'm "in class" and type the subject in and seeing how others have done the same thing and similar. you can always pick, adjust or combine different steps and practice on a scrap if clear and see what works best for you. You can do this! It won't be as hard as it sounds and you'll be proud of your results!

Dave
    Dave
    Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
    Sold:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

Found a before.....

Attached files

Dave
      5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
      Sold:
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:

Comment

And an after.
        Dave
        Sold:
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:

Comment

Sorry for not answering sooner. Just read your answer sounds good thank very much, i'm going to give it a try.

Comment

No problem Harry Hope it works well for you. I noticed it looks like you've recently joined....WELCOME!

Luckily it's fairly fast and easy to get info on more "generic" or common to all topics on here. I keyed in on yours easily since I'd recently done the same to mine.

You may already know but I'd like to pass along a couple of important tips to "help you help the helpers" when you have more boat/ model/ engine specific things to post. Specifically targeting people with the same thing you have gets you accurate info faster and keeps both parties from culling through lots of posts hoping to find one that fits your issue to a "T".

First: you need to complete your profile asap. Specifically the SIGNATURE section. Access it from your PROFILE page. in there you can put all the pertinent info about your specific boat, engine model, trailer, tow vehicle major mods/ upgrades and such. As you cruise the site you'll start noticing most folks have them and the kind of stuff they have out there to keep from having to repeat it every time you post something. That way it's already there and that's the stuff that if it's there you'll start to get quicker replies from folks having very specific almost custom tailored assistance instead of scrolling through 15 replies and maybe finding two that "might work" your specific question/ issue. More than likely ALL 15 will have spot on info/ tips, giving you options to pick, choose, compare and even combine elements from all for even better info at your disposal,

The "other side" of this coin: someone posts a question about their outdrive or something specific. There's a pretty good chance that if someone clicks and opens your thread( or whatever ti's called) since your title mentioned OUTDRIVE and they may have the exact one as you but there's nothing there staring at him from your SIGNATURE section (that once complete ALWAYS shows up with your thread) letting him know you have the same one, he clicks out and is on to the next one. See he's looking for something specific too, The more we help them to have what they need to help us streamlines the process for all.

Second: when you get a chance if you haven't already, search to see if there is a group/ section made up only of owners with the SAME model as you. Each model is it's own subject or topic. It may even be more specific for example down to certain years. if so open it and use the FAVORITES tab so you can always get to it from your profile page so you won't have to relocate it each time. Either way THAT group/ section will prove to be your "go to", best direct line to everything imaginable dealing specifically with and for a 3218. Good luck with the lenses/ covers. I have a couple of times seen folks offering gages for sale on here. Unfortunately not always in the CLASSIFIED section so it may take a little time but you might luck up if you need as replacement.

Dave
            Dave
            Sold:
            Mariner 150
            Towing with:

Comment

Working...
            X