Cummins Oil Pressure Issue-gctid817605

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cummins Oil Pressure Issue-gctid817605

I had an interesting thing happen a couple of days ago. I was cruising with both engines at 2200 RPM when I noticed the port engine oil pressure fluctuating from 0 to 50 PSI. I quickly ran down to the lower helm and the gauge there was doing the same; then it went to zero and stayed there. There was no alarm from the oil pressure switch when this happened.

I slowed down and shut down the port engine. I turned the switch back on and verified that the alarm was working; so I restarted the engine. Both oil pressure gauges started operating normally, with no fluctuations and showing adequate oil pressure. They continued to operate OK for the rest of our cruise: three more hours, including a day at anchor with a cold restart.

I'm guessing the issue is a failing oil pressure sender or bad oil pressure sender electrical connections. Do you have any other thoughts?
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

To be safe I would replace the sender, and perhaps both of them.

Checking the harness connections is also a possibility for corrosion.

It won't be far from the engine if both gauges were acting the same way.

If you order new senders be specific that they are dual station senders to get the correct readings.

For Faria Guages Sierra OP24891 Oil Pressure Sender-80 Psi,Dual Station
    "Adios Dinero"
    1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
    Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Well you for sure had oil pressure else the low oil pressure alarm would have went off. As you know it's a separate sender. The senders are a wear item thus need replacing as needed.
      1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
      2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
      2019 Cobia 240 CC
      2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
      1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Does the Oil Pressure Alarms work off the same sender or a different one as the gauge? I'd assume there is only a single oil pressure sender on the engine. So if the alarm didn't trigger but the gauges fell to zero, it's more likely to be a bad/open signal or ground wire given that both gauges were at zero.
        Terry
        1999 Bayliner 3388
        Twin Cummins 4BTA
        Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
        Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

"TenMile" post=817638 wrote:
          Does the Oil Pressure Alarms work off the same sender or a different one as the gauge? I'd assume there is only a single oil pressure sender on the engine. So if the alarm didn't trigger but the gauges fell to zero, it's more likely to be a bad/open signal or ground wire given that both gauges were at zero.

Two separate senders. One for the gauge, one for the alarm. They use the same feed from the engines, which is a good thing.
          1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
          2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
          2019 Cobia 240 CC
          2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
          1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

"p91473" post=817628 wrote:
            Well you for sure had oil pressure else the low oil pressure alarm would have went off. As you know it's a separate sender. The senders are a wear item thus need replacing as needed.
            Exactly, that is why I was comfortable restarting the engine after I verified that the oil pressure switch for the alarm was working.

I've been wrenching on engines since I was a kid and I've never had an oil pressure sender malfunction and get better all by itself. Usually when they malfunction they stay that way.
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

I had something like this happen last year and it turned out to be corrosion where the wire connects to the sender. A little sandpaper and corrosionX and it's worked fine.
              "Impasse". 2001 3988
              Cummins 330's
              Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

Swap sensors between engines and see if the problem travels to the other engine.
                Pat
                Paragon
                1999 4788

Comment

"cosmo777" post=817695 wrote:
                  Swap sensors between engines and see if the problem travels to the other engine.
                  That won't work in this cass because the problem fixed itself. The port engine oil pressure indication is working nirmally now.
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

"bal734" post=817690 wrote:
                    I had something like this happen last year and it turned out to be corrosion where the wire connects to the sender. A little sandpaper and corrosionX and it's worked fine.
                    Good idea. I'll ckean the contacts.
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Had similar issue on my 6B's, pulled on the sender wire and it came off the terminal. Wire was broken but insulation kept it in place. I re-crimped a new connector on and issue resolved.

Comment

Working...
                      X