Turbo Problem-gctid398596

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Problem-gctid398596

During performance of normal periodic maintenance, the mechanic found a small water leak at the bottom of the nine year old port stainless steel riser. While removing the riser, he broke off all four rusted bolts that connect it to the turbo. The turbo is currently at a machine shop that is trying to remove the sheared studs. I am hoping for the best but in anticipation of the worst, where could I find a replacement turbo? I called North Harbor Diesel but they only had one for a 150. Is there a difference between the 150 and the 135 turbo's? Thanks for the help.

I think they are the same. Any decent machine shop should be able to remove broken studs. Next time use penetrating oil before attempting to remove nuts (20-20 hind sight)

Comment

Talk to Bill at NHD. He will be able to tell you immediately. He is in parts.

Comment

Pretty sure the 135's are just oil cooled and the 150's are oil and water cooled.

Even if the machine shop can't get the studs out, they should be able to drill, tap and timesert the holes for you.Even if they have to weld up a big hole and redrill the holes it's likely cheaper then new housings.

Comment

Stray Cat wrote:
          Pretty sure the 135's are just oil cooled and the 150's are oil and water cooled.

Even if the machine shop can't get the studs out, they should be able to drill, tap and timesert the holes for you.Even if they have to weld up a big hole and redrill the holes it's likely cheaper then new housings.
          Wrong Mine are water cooled

Comment

Bill, the mechanic at Hawleys removed the riser and I have to assume that he used penetrating oil. I would have. rmacdonald, I did talk to a parts guy at NHD, not sure if it was Bill, and he said that the part numbers were different between the 135 and the 150 but he only had the 150 in stock. Stray Cat, subsequent to my post, I did some additional research and I believe that you are correct, the 150 is water cooled and the 135 is not.

You are all correct in that a machine shop should be able to fix it but I just have not found a machine shop that can do the work in less than three weeks due to work load. I was supposed to head north two days ago.:sorrow: Thanks for the inputs

Comment

billsguns wrote:
              My boat is an 1987 model and the first to have a four cylinder 135HP turbo engine. My turbo appears to be a truck turbo rather that one designed for a boat and it is definitely not water cooled. I think that I've come across some 87's have non-turbo 110HP engines. It could be that later 135's were upgraded to be water cooled.

Comment

billsguns wrote:
                Maybe yours have been switched out? Difference in model years in the 135's? Steve3218 has an '87 w/135's and his are only oil cooled.

Comment

I have a 1987 135 hp hino and my turbos are diffently oil lubed and water cooled

I did replace my port turbo and I believe This is a 150hp unit. The turbo housing is bigger. I remember that on the old turbo the hardware were studs for mounting.*

on the new turbo one of the holes were threaded so I had to remove one of the studs and drill to make this a clearance hole to allow me to put a bolt in from the back side. Make sure to use antiseeze on the threads. I think I bought the turbo from API or some thing like that over on the west coast. Paperwork on the boat.

I also changed all my water coolant lines and fitting on my turbo. Stock was 3/8" or the metric equivalent. I installed 18 or 19mm (cant remember) fiittings to number 10 AN fittings which is 5/8.

I changed all my coolant lines on my turbo to silicon with heat shields.*

I drilled and resised The fitting comming out of the block where the coolant line feed the turbo. I believe this fitting was a 1/4 " or*metric equivalent I change this to 3/8 NPT to 10AN

Fair Winds and Following Seas

On the square-On the level
                  1987 3270MY, 135 Hino engines

2015 Element ( Lime Green) Limited Edition 75 HP Mercury.

Roger, Lake Saint Clair, Michigan
                  Fair Winds & Following Seas

Comment

3270my wrote:
                    I have a 1987 135 hp hino and my turbos are diffently oil lubed and water cooled

I did replace my port turbo and I believe This is a 150hp unit. The turbo housing is bigger. I remember that on the old turbo the hardware were studs for mounting.*

on the new turbo one of the holes were threaded so I had to remove one of the studs and drill to make this a clearance hole to allow me to put a bolt in from the back side. Make sure to use antiseeze on the threads. I think I bought the turbo from API or some thing like that over on the west coast. Paperwork on the boat.

I also changed all my water coolant lines and fitting on my turbo. Stock was 3/8" or the metric equivalent. I install 19mm fittings to number 10 AN fittings which is 5/8.

I changed all my coolant lines on my turbo to silicon with heat shields.*

I drilled and resised The fitting comming out of the block where the coolant line feed the turbo. I believe this fitting was a 1/4 " or*metric equivalent I change this to 3/8 NPT to 10AN

Fair Winds and Following Seas

On the square-On the level
                    I'd love to see some pics. Even pics of the AN parts you used.

Anyone else modify their turbo coolant lines to bigger ones. Earl says that is the difference between a 135hp and 150hp Hino. More coolant flow to turbos=more HP
                    James
                    Kai Nani, Redondo Beach, CA
                    1989 MY 3288
                    Hino 150hp with Hurth 630A Trannies

Comment

billsguns wrote:
                      Mine came with oil cooled units. Previous owner changed one over to a water/oil cooled unit.

Comment

Stray Cat wrote:
                        Maybe yours have been switched out? Difference in model years in the 135's? Steve3218 has an '87 w/135's and his are only oil cooled.
                        I am the original owner of the boat. 88's and 89's are water cooled. I have oly seen one boat with a oil cooled turbo and it was a replacement since the other motor was water cooled

Comment

Bill, I do not know if mine are the original turbos but the bearings on mine appear to have oil flowing thru them.

Comment

They all have oil flowing through the bearings thats why you should always let the turbos spin down for at least 5 min. after they have been spun up

Comment

Working...
                            X