Hurth transmission 4588-gctid816443

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurth transmission 4588-gctid816443

Is it possible to remove or back off the engine while the boat is in the water?

In short the answer is yes, just more difficult.

What work are you planning to do?

Ian B)
    Ian & Emma
    MV "LaPaloma"
    1990 4588
    Bay of Islands
    New Zealand

Comment

Started hearing a loud rattling on the port engine and from searching around I found that it could be the drive plate. So I wanted to pull it out a bit to see if I could check to see if there is anything wrong.

Comment

I've had the gear boxes out of our boat a couple of times. Although I ended up doing the procedure on the hard stand I was going to do it in the water last time when our insurers stepped in and insisted on a haul out.

Regardless the procedure is to uncouple the shaft and slide it back. The prop will rest on the rudder and prevent ithe shaft sliding entirely out.

The gear box can be manouvured back from the engine however you will need to support the rear of the engine as the rear engine mounts attach to the box . It's not a job to be rushed but very doable if you take care.

Regards, Ian B)
        Ian & Emma
        MV "LaPaloma"
        1990 4588
        Bay of Islands
        New Zealand

Comment

Humm, I thought it was the 6 lower bolts I had to remove. Yes the upper bolts are holding the engine mounts.

Comment

Working...
          X