Amperage on breaker panel for head?-gctid816269

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amperage on breaker panel for head?-gctid816269

I am going to be installing an electric head on our 38 and was wondering what the size is of the factory installed breaker?
    Sean
    1987 3870
    Crimson Pride II
    Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
    MMSI: 338080226

I don't recall but I do remember that the wires going to it were too small. Since I got rid of the 12V fridge I used that breaker (and wires) to tie into.

Give it good power and you won't regret it for a minute. 10ga wire.

I have pulled the slurp and splash heads out of a lot of boats.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Just take a look at the specs sheet of the head you plan to buy.

I think most of them are 10 amp with a 25 amp fuse.

Wire size depends on distance of the run.

Comment

Well the breaker for the head on my panel was for the macerator.

I had an empty fuse on the panel that is accessed through the galley. Wire brushed it off and was ready no loss in voltage. All works.
        Sean
        1987 3870
        Crimson Pride II
        Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
        MMSI: 338080226

Comment

There are tables to determine what wire gauge and fuse is required for the length of run. For example if your macerator draws 17 amps at 12 volts you can use a 20 amp breaker and 10 feet of 12 gauge wire, but for a more typical 40 foot run (wire run is length is from power to ground so the total length in both directions) you would use 8 gauge wire. Simply using a vacant slot on the panel means you need luck for wire and breaker size to be correct.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Sean,

What Bob is saying is you need to be sure the complete circuit is adequate.

The object of fuses/CB's is to protect the wiring and other electrical items in the circuit.

The fuse melts before the wires or motor.

You can hook up a 10 amp motor to a 100 amp fuse with a 22 gauge wire and it will work. For a while, maybe.

But a boat is a highly corrosive environment and corrosion equals resistance, resistance equals heat, heat equals fire.

Please make sure you have the correct wire gauge and fuse for the run (both directions) and amperage.

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X