Range estimate for 4550 motoryacht-gctid816225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range estimate for 4550 motoryacht-gctid816225

I just bought the yacht and was wondering if anyone has an estimate on the range? Previous owner told me he was using around 1.5 gph cruising at a speed of about 13 knots. I think he said that was at under 2000 rpm. is that close? thanks.
    roman zareczny

"roman1956" post=816225 wrote:
    I just bought the yacht and was wondering if anyone has an estimate on the range? Previous owner told me he was using around 1.5 gph cruising at a speed of about 13 knots. I think he said that was at under 2000 rpm. is that close? thanks.
    Based upon my experiences not really.

All of these 45's will vary on fuel used per mile based upon many things including: engine tune, prop tune, weight, hull and running gear cleanliness and sea conditions at the time. These can vary the 'mileages' by a great deal - very large.

Given that base here is what I have found to be a reasonable best case summary with a few numbers 'rounded' to make it easier to remember.

4588 tankage is typically 505 gallons with 480 usable gallons.

6 knots - 3nmpg-1440 nmiles

8 knots - 2nmpg- 960

10 knots - 1 nmpg - 480

14 knots - 0.90 nmpg - 432

That is full estimated range with no safety factor
    Northport NY

Comment

Before I forget - congratulations on the new boat they are a really fantastic boat to own.

best luck with the season
      Northport NY

Comment

Hi Roman,

Congratulations on your new boat - remember to fill in your profile with location and boat details.

We extensively cruise at a little under maximum hull speed.

1250 rpm 6 - 7 knots.

We haven't acurately calculated fuel consumption but roughly work on similar figures to what Smitty has posted above.

Experiment with this as these boats definitely steady

up if you raise your speed to 12knt+ when you have a beam sea. In that situation comfort wins over economy. Fuel and particularly water tank levels affect handling also. Check how much the bow rises with empty water tanks (metric ton of weight out of the bow).

We love our 45 and expect you will too.

Ian B)
        Ian & Emma
        MV "LaPaloma"
        1990 4588
        Bay of Islands
        New Zealand

Comment

"roman1956" post=816225 wrote:
          I am not sure my 3288 will go 13 KNTS but if it did at least 10gph with 135 hp Hinos

Much smaller boat and power than yours. Rule of Thumb bigger boat bigger bill
          1988 3270
          135 hinos
          Seldovia ALASKA
          KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
          KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
          Marine canvas/Upholstery
          since 1975

Comment

Working...
          X