Anchor in Gig Harbor-gctid816096

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor in Gig Harbor-gctid816096

I have been to Gig Harbor probably 50 or more times but never anchored, always docked. Want to anchor there next trip. Where is the best place to anchor there without snagging cables, sunken boats, etc and be mostly out of the traffic in and out.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

look for spots north of the Public Dock and near the Seattle Yacht Club out station.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

by the boat launch was our favorite for a long time. Once they put the dock in alongside the ramp it took a lot of the entertainment value away.

Haven't snagged anything in there when we have anchored.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

It's pretty flexible for anchoring about anywhere in Gig. I've never snagged anything when anchoring there, and usually look to anchor out across from the public dock. Sometimes, depending on how busy it is, it is just a matter of finding a good spot amongst all of the other boats.

Comment

Good holding most everywhere, there is substantial weed to get through in the middle of the bay (say from the Tides dock to past Jersich pier) which used to be a problem for my light anchor in an earlier boat. There is a cable crossing E of the Tides dock and there is a stormwater outfall in the approx middle off Shorline/Anthony's. Both are marked on charts.

If you are visiting between 7/22-8/31 you can use my 50' slip if you wish at Harborview Marina. PM me if so.

Alan.
          Alan Teed
          MOONSHADOW
          1996 Wendon Sky Lounge 72'
          Gig Harbor, WA
          Previously:
          1994 Bayliner 4788
          2006 Hylas 49' SY
          Bayliner 2855
          1977 Cal 34' SY
          1981 Hunter 33' SY

Comment

As everyone is saying, most spots are good anchorage. I've been there a ton of times and generally anchor north of the public dock... Its a great place to relax...

I did try south of the public dock across from the tides and got snagged on an old ship anchor. It was HUGE!!!... my winch got sluggish and I thought it was low battery,so I countinued and it lifted the anchor to then surface. It took three of us to budge it loose from my anchor...unfortunately, we lost the ship anchor to the abis again...as such, I've refrained from anchoring south of the public docks since,,,

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
            OMEGA

Comment

Thanks for the slip offer but we want to specifically anchor to test our windless, longer gen set use, etc. Also want son to raft and allow twin grandsons to tour gig harbor in my Bullfrog, and check it out. All in prep for 3 to 4 week trip North.
              Started boating 1965
              Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Working...
              X