Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hino rubber fuel line splitting-gctid816019

I have a 1985 Hino WO4D ( 110 hp)

2 weeks ago, I took the boat out for a short trip down a river that my marina is on. No wake zone. I was doing 1100 rpm.

When I returned 40 minutes later I noticed the smell of diesel fuel. It was in my port side bilge and dripping of my motor Long story short, I found a fine spray coming from the end of the 2.5 inch rubber fuel line that connects to the injector rack on top of the motor. No split, you could see it coming out of the end of the hose. Since this short line was original (painted green along with the rest of the motor), with the same stock "spring" clamps, I just decided to replace the fuel line and use standard hose clamps. Bad mistake. I didn't know that standard fuel lines are much thinner.

I took the boat out (again no wake zone). I returned again, about 40 minutes. Glad I did. My bilge was full of fuel. The gas fuel line had a half inch split on top and was pumping out diesel fuel. Major clean up.

Here is where it gets tricky and I need someone's help. I decided that since the original line was much thicker (maybe the original clamps lost their spring is all ?) I re-used the original very thick fuel line with the new hose clamps. Long story short... This line developed a 1/4" split and sprayed fuel over the engine and bilge again.

My question: if this line is under so much pressure, why would Hino use rubber ? is an injector plugged causing extreme back pressure ? (I know nothing about injectors) splitting even the original hose ? Help ! Thx Dave

Sounds like the original line is toast and the other is sure to fail as well. Did you buy marine fuel hose or just whatever the auto parts store had? I suspect the proper marine hose would be thicker. Not sure what pressure is in that line so I'm interested in what others have to say. I hope to get to the boat today and I'll have a look at that line.
    "Martini's Law"
    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"from the end of the 2.5 inch rubber fuel line that connects to the injector rack on top of the motor"

- Is this line after the injection pump or before?

- Is it a supply to the injectors or a return line back from the injectors?

- Is it possible you have closed one of your fuel return valves by mistake?
      Northport NY

Comment

I think it is the return line back. Im not sure. I do not know diesels too well even thought I have this boat for 7 years.

Are these the same valves (3) that are on the fire wall above the main fuel filters ?

Thanks for the reply !

Comment

"Dave Richards" post=816253 wrote:
          I think it is the return line back. Im not sure. I do not know diesels too well even thought I have this boat for 7 years.

Are these the same valves (3) that are on the fire wall above the main fuel filters ?

Thanks for the reply !
          Yes those valves. Do you have any shut off, even partially shut off.
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

I thought that the return line didn't have any valves between the engine and the tank. At least on mine there is no valving on the return, only on the supply side which is under vacuum.

James
            1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
            Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
            Lowrance Electronics!
            Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
            Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
            AGLCA #8340
            MTOA# 7469

Comment

"Dave Richards" post=816253 wrote:

Thanks for the reply !
              You might want to post a few photos of the line in question.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA
              Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Folks-

Thank you for your replies !. I found the problem. I had the fuel tank removed last year. (ended up being a leak in the fill hose).

When the mechanic put the motor back in, he mistakingly connected the fuel lines to the wrong ports. They are only a foot apart.

He had the return fuel line was routed back to the main fuel filter (this cause the back pressure after half hour of running). The line for the fuel filter from the tank was routed to the return fuel line. Geesh ! easy fix is the main gist here. Thx again

Dave

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out.
                  "Martini's Law"
                  1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                  Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X