3288 bayliners owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 bayliners owners

1992 3288 Bayliner MV.......Went out for the evening and everything went well till I went to start the engines after being at anchor for a couple of hrs. Starboard engine started like usual but port engine wold not start. Turned the key and busers went off but nothing happened when turnned to start position. Checked to make sure I was in the neutral position, still nothing happened. Started to make way back to the dock on one engine and decided to try again and it started. Went out again this weekend and both engines started just fine. Was at anchor and explained what happend to a friend who has a mechanic background and it happened again. He traced it to a bad ground from a relay. We bypassed the ground from the relay and the engine started. You would think the relay should be replaced but it checked out to be good. Very confusing ????? Does anyone know where the engines are grounded ?????

Any help from you 3288 owners would be appreciated.
    EAGLE III
    1992 3288 Bayliner MY
    Victoria BC
    Jan

Might be the Hino safety relay. I had to replace them on both of my engines. Never had any further issues.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...-switch#478811
    George
    "Delphin"
    '89 3270, 135 HP Hinos
    Victoria, BC
    Member:
    Capital City Yacht Club
    Oak Bay Power & Sail Squadron

Comment

ground is not your problem, look for the white plastic plug that connects the eng wiring to the boat wiring harness , take it apart and clean, its near the starters. very common problem
      1988 3270
      135 hinos
      Seldovia ALASKA
      KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
      KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
      Marine canvas/Upholstery
      since 1975

Comment

2nd that. Those plugs have been removed from my boat and replaced with crimp connectors. Same thing, loose ground = intermittent starting. That's a great place to start.

Comment

"dpeery" post=816153 wrote:
          2nd that. Those plugs have been removed from my boat and replaced with crimp connectors. Same thing, loose ground = intermittent starting. That's a great place to start.
          Same here. I cut the black and red from that connector and crimped it. The rest I clean up and applied dielectric grease.
          "Martini's Law" SOLD
          1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
          Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Alaskan Adventurer.... Kevin, Is the plastic plug about 1 inch square or are you talking about the little 3 prong one that connects the safety relay ?
            EAGLE III
            1992 3288 Bayliner MY
            Victoria BC
            Jan

Comment

"EAGLE III" post=816190 wrote:
              Alaskan Adventurer.... Kevin, Is the plastic plug about 1 inch square or are you talking about the little 3 prong one that connects the safety relay ?
              Yes, approx. 1x1 white plastic connector near the starters. It will have about 6 or more wires. Pull it apart and if you see green corrosion you'll know you have poor connections.
              "Martini's Law" SOLD
              1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
              Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

when I bought the boat the PO was jumping the starter with a jumper wire, did not take me long to find the problem, it has happened two more times even with electric grease , it should be a yearly thing to clean . yes
                1988 3270
                135 hinos
                Seldovia ALASKA
                KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                Marine canvas/Upholstery
                since 1975

Comment

when I bought the boat the PO was jumping the starter with a jumper wire, did not take me long to find the problem, it has happened two more times even with electric grease , it should be a yearly thing to clean . yes Eagle they are white maybe 9 wire 1 1/2 in sq
                  1988 3270
                  135 hinos
                  Seldovia ALASKA
                  KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                  KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                  Marine canvas/Upholstery
                  since 1975

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. Will go through and check plugs and connections this weekend. jan
                    EAGLE III
                    1992 3288 Bayliner MY
                    Victoria BC
                    Jan

Comment

Was out last week and both engines fired up fine. Today the starboard engine wouldn't start. Mines a 1990 with 135 Hinos. Hope this might be the fix.
                      "Scandia Lady"
                      1990 Bayliner 3288. Twin 135 Hinos.
                      Westshore Marina
                      Gig Harbor, WA

*1975 Glasply
                      135 Evinrude E-Tec mounted on an Armstrong Engine mount.
                      Greater Puget Sound
                      *1992 Ski Nautique
                      351 Ford
                      Lake Tapps, WA

Comment

J wagner, As gsilvest said in a previous reply it might be the safety relay. I replace the safety relay on my port engine and have had no problems since. That was it . Safety relay was about $250 but was very easy to remove and install. Hope this works for you.
                        EAGLE III
                        1992 3288 Bayliner MY
                        Victoria BC
                        Jan

Comment

Last night I was able to bypass the relay with a screwdriver across the two points on the relay. The engine fired up. Will now order a couple of relays keeping one as a spare. Thanks for your help!
                          "Scandia Lady"
                          1990 Bayliner 3288. Twin 135 Hinos.
                          Westshore Marina
                          Gig Harbor, WA

*1975 Glasply
                          135 Evinrude E-Tec mounted on an Armstrong Engine mount.
                          Greater Puget Sound
                          *1992 Ski Nautique
                          351 Ford
                          Lake Tapps, WA

Comment

I haven't had this problem (yet) but will go find the plug you all speak of and give it a look and clean if necessary. Has anyone changed theirs to one of those waterproof electrical plugs?

Paul
                            US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                            MMSI: 338181912

Comment

these plugs are not needed, they were for production , drop the motor in and go, I have pulled my Hinos one time in 30 yrs, so my point is cut the plug off and use good crimp splices
                              1988 3270
                              135 hinos
                              Seldovia ALASKA
                              KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                              KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                              Marine canvas/Upholstery
                              since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X