Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just bought an awesome 4087!!-gctid815739

And we are very excited!

After much looking we bought a 1999 4087 with 270's. She is very clean and was well looked after, and she will live in Point Roberts. She has davits (with a properly done strut to provide added support from the aft deck) that will hold my AB11 with 25hp perfectly, Webasto heat, new canvas with glass insert with wiped on the flybridge. No genset but the po added large solar panels on the hardtop that charge at over 20 amps to the house. I plan on getting a 3000 watt portable inverter generator to store in the cockpit locker. I have to head home in the morning, and was hoping someone could help with a couple of little issues and questions:

Bilge pumps: I don't have power to the 2 aft and 1 forward pump. I removed the supply power, then I rigged temporary power to the aft one so it will function, but this doesn't seem like a coincidence. I pulled the panel to check the positive supply which was fine, and I will be in there again momentarily to check the negative bus bar. There should not be another connection (other than the helm manual switches) and no fuse in the line like the shower sump pump, right? I'am getting out the electrical tester to see if I have live + with no ground, good ground with no +, or nothing. Any other ideas appreciated!

Exhaust hoses: has anyone replaced them on a 4087? There is no direct access to the mufflers, so wondering if after disconnecting and removing the pieces on the engine end, will the hose pull through forward so one can get at the muffler to disconnect, and basically remove one piece at a time? Looks like about 18 feet of 6" hose on each side, and not a small job.

And then for fun projects - I have been searching around the forum archives, but any favorite mods for the galley, general favorite storage tips, and suggestions for the best sun deck chairs would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone, capn Mark and crew.
    1999 4087 Cummins 270's
    AB 12 Yamaha 25
    Cruising the Pacific NW from Anacortes to Desolation Sound

congrats! you'll probably be posting often on BOC (which is a gr8 resource). so, you'll want to consider adding a signature line to your profile settings. the sig works best if it lists the region or state that you are in - so people can help you better.

curious: why do you want to replace the exhaust hoses?
    Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

On my 3270, I have a "bilge pump" labeled fuse on my battery selector panel. The one with the big red selector switches.

Bilge pump wires are brown or brow with whit tracer.

Jim
      1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

Ok, 2 of 3 bilge (of the non functioning ones) pumps now functioning. Just connector issues so far, so cleaned the float switches and fixed up the wires, so far so good. With respect to the exhaust hoses, it was listed in the survey, and suggested by a mechanic. I am open to a third opinion though, as this doesn't look cheap. The current hoses are original and 18 yrs old, cracking is fairly evident in a few places. Thanks for the signature line suggestion. We will have her named shortly, but will likely be 'More Mischief' given that our last much smaller boat was Mischief. Perfect.

Mark
        1999 4087 Cummins 270's
        AB 12 Yamaha 25

Comment

Congrats on the 4087. It's a great boat. Just spent the weekend at Sucia on ours.

Trying to figure out the exhaust hose issue. The mufflers are in the lazarette underneath the cockpit. There is a bulkhead that separates that from the engine room. Not sure that I understand that lack of access...

Comment

Yes, this is a great cruising boat. We had narrowed our search to this model at least a year ago as we wanted the 3 staterooms. My mufflers are between the cockpit and engine room, all I have in the aft locker is the six inch hose passing through. There is no easy access to the mufflers via the master stateroom, so I'm hoping someone has done them by pulling the hoses fwd through the engine room piece by piece.
            1999 4087 Cummins 270's
            AB 12 Yamaha 25

Comment

Congrats on the 4087, we have its older, smaller brother (3587) and love it to pieces
              Midnight Star
              1996 3587
              Twin diesels, Hino 250's
              Ladysmith, BC
              History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

What a start to a an incredible adventure... congrats!!!

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
                OMEGA

Comment

We've had our 4087 for nearly 10 years and love it. We live on it for 3-4 months in San Juan's, Gulf Islands, currently at our outstation in Saltspring-Ganges. I replaced my starboard exhaust hose (the big fat one) about 2 years ago, very straight forward, remember cost of the hose was expensive-but that was about it.

Machog
                  1996 4087 Lazy Days
                  2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                  2011 Porsche Cayman
                  2010 Lexus IS 250C
                  2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Congrats on the 4087! We have had ours for over 7 years now and love it.

I've done a lot of mods / fixes to my boat over the years, so if you have a question about layout, location, etc of items, feel free to DM me. I'm happy to share my email with you. I'm located down in Commencement Bay at Chinook Landing Marina. I haven't done any muffler work, so that is one project where I can't offer any advice

For your bilge pumps, the main fuses for these are located in the cabinet next to the lower helm, which contains the master power switches. If you have power issues to the pumps, check these first. I had one that blew not too long ago for the aft bilge pump as it was the wrong size fuse.