Marine horns?-gctid815204

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine horns?-gctid815204

I replaced the horns on the 38xx with a new set of Taiwan-made 12V trumpet horns. I saw how the old ones had corroded by getting water trapped under the rear cover, so I waterproofed the back side of these with some spray rubber toolcoat. They were the exact same shape and dimensions as the original horns...installed easily and sounded great.

One month later, and they no longer work...they only grunt when I hit the horn button. Gah! inch: I suspect the diaphragm on the inside of the trumpet has probably corroded from exposure to the salt air in my location.

Any thoughts here? I've seen many many complaints about this style of horn not exactly having a long life...but jeez, I was hoping to get at least a couple or so years out of them. Any brand or model of dual-trumpet horn that holds up reasonably well that any of you have used to replace these?

Cheers,

Dave

Just ordered some WOLO "Dominators" that are allegedly waterproof and saltwater tolerant...let's see if these are any better.

Dave

Comment

I ordered some cheap horns from Amazon. They are waiting for me to return home and install them. I hope they last the season. lol
      1988 3218
      Triple “O"
      Hino diesels

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

You get what you pay for I guess. I replaced my original horns with dual trumpet marinco and they work great...after I replaced the original bus fuse block with Blue Sea block. My issue was poor connections at the fuses.
        "Martini's Law"
        1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
        Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Dave, I had issues with my horn about every month or so. It kept corroding up until I realized the horn was mounted level. I adjusted it so it actually drained down thus no water (washing or otherwise) runs back to collect in the back part of the horn.
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]
          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

I don't remember the brand but my horns on my 94 3288, had a lifetime warranty. About every 18 months I'd send them to Wisconsin and they'd send me a new set.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

What brand did Bayliner originally install on these boats? I removed my 2858 double trumpet horn this year to find it completely corroded and unservicable inside. I want to order the same type so that I don't have to drill more holes, but have no idea what type they were.
              Bryan
              1997 2858 7.4 B2
              1992 Hewescraft
              Puyallup, WA

Comment

I don't know the original brand, but I can tell you these from Pactrade were the exact same size and type (even down to the screw holes for mounting). However, these are also the ones that only worked for a month, so I certainly wouldn't recommend them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pactrade-Mar...72.m2749.l2649

But then, based on all the comments on the web about horns of this failing in the first or second year, it might just be that most of them are made in the same factory and just labelled with a different brand name. :whistle:

If you can tell from my profile pic, mine do angle down in front...and I sealed the back side. How annoying for something to fail after a month and maybe 5-6 honks...LOL.

HTH,

Dave

Comment

I got tired of the crapy electric horns. I bought a triple horn train air horn $80 on ebay.Installed it with a 3 gallon air tank and twin 12 volt 150 psi compressors. Been going strong fo 3 or 4 years now.

I now also have enough onboard air to fill water toys use small air tools and air to blow things off with and top off the dinghy. I think the entire set up was about $250.

This is only set at 120 psi. At 150 psi it hurts every ones ears that's anywhere near the boat. You can hear it echo through rhe neighborhood.

He with the loudest born wins.

Be sure to turn up you speakers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FFXzPK6fLQ

It's installed to the upper left side of the hard top.
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

Ongaro makes high quality marine horns. I have never had to replace a set that I installed.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...0127&id=147388

Kahlenberg also makes very high quality horns but they are very expensive. All horns should always be mounted with a slight downward angle so any water that enters the trumpet will automatically drain back out. Make sure you use the correct gauge wire considering the distance of the run. Dual trumpet horns should have at least a 20 amp circuit feeding them.
                    Gibraltar, Mi.
                    1986- 3870- Hino 175's
                    1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

"Sunbird" post=815316 wrote:
                      Ongaro makes high quality marine horns. I have never had to replace a set that I installed.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...0127&id=147388
                      This seems like a good testament. How long have you had them in service? Defender's price is reasonable on these...

Dave

Comment

I have a set on my Shamrock that is going on 10 years old. I'm in fresh water so its a little less harsh.
                        Gibraltar, Mi.
                        1986- 3870- Hino 175's
                        1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                        14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Yup, much less harsh.

Congrats on the new 3870!

Dave

Comment

So, the issue turned out to be some of the old wiring, not the horns themselves. I removed the old/new horns, installed the new/new horns, and voila...it only grunted too.

:huh: Removed some of the old wiring that the old/old horns had been plugged up to, sprayed contact cleaner on the horn switch, and voila...it then honked. I think I'll switch the old/new horns back in (since the footprint matches the old/old horns I replaced), and just keep the new/new horns as a spare.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X